What's new

Custom DDNS Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus's DDNS requires you to first register the account with Asus. Simplest way to do this is to configure it through the webui, the router will then issue the special request to register it.

Once it's registered, then you can use it with a custom Inadyn configuration:

Code:
iterations = 1
provider update@asus.com {
hostname = yourhostname.asuscomm.com
username = "AAA"
password = "BBB"
}

The username can be obtained with
Code:
nvram get lan_hwaddr

And the password:

Code:
nvram get secret_code

Asus's DDNS requires you to first register the account with Asus. Simplest way to do this is to configure it through the webui, the router will then issue the special request to register it.

Code:
iterations = 1
username = "AAA"
password = "BBB"
}

Code:
nvram get lan_hwaddr

And the password:

Code:
nvram get secret_code
I was just about to respond that I looked inside /etc/inadyn.conf and figured it out.. as for the
nvram values i just used
$(nvram get value) for each value

iterations = 1
hostname = $(nvram get ddns_hostname_x)
username = "$(nvram get lan_hwaddr)"
password = "$(nvram get secret_code)"
checkip-command = "/usr/sbin/nvram get wan0_ipaddr"
wildcard = true
}

Last edited:
That won't work. That config file is not a shell script, so it cannot execute commands.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cat << EOF >> /etc/inadyn.conf
iterations = 1
hostname =  $(nvram get ddns_hostname_x)
wildcard = true
}
EOF

inside /jffs/scripts/inadyn.postconf

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cat << EOF >> /etc/inadyn.conf
iterations = 1
hostname =  $(nvram get ddns_hostname_x)
wildcard = true
}
EOF

inside /jffs/scripts/inadyn.postconf

Why do you want to use a custom script? I assume it was because you needed to support two different DDNS services, in which case ddns_hostname_x will already be used by that other service.

Why do you want to use a custom script? I assume it was because you needed to support two different DDNS services, in which case ddns_hostname_x will already be used by that other service.
it is not for that I am setting up a pretty lengthy setup, but you are right I could also use the config method, but i am actually using ddns_hostname_x as a buffer to sub in only part of the actual domain address for multiple different sets of sub domains.

so mine actually looks like
$(nvram get ddns_hostname_x).asuscomm.com
along with what ever other services i run from
$(nvram get ddns_hostname_x)

My next latest and greatest question @RMerlin or any one who can respond on such topic, Is there a method to supply a inadyn custom ddns with a custom certificate via providing a path to the crt.pem and key.pem, that ignores the routers custom certificate? I am looking for away to set this up inside inadyn.conf

Code:
iterations = 1
username = "AAA"
password = "BBB"
}

Code:
nvram get lan_hwaddr

And the password:

Code:
nvram get secret_code
Hi.
I have a correct entries in /etc/inadyn.conf file, but still get 401 authentication error. It's funy if my time is incorrect I can register hostname, but fails at certificate (not yet operational).

Hi.
I have a correct entries in /etc/inadyn.conf file, but still get 401 authentication error. It's funy if my time is incorrect I can register hostname, but fails at certificate (not yet operational).

Authentication failure would probably imply that your DDNS hostname is already registered to a different MAC, the secret PIN stored in nvram has been altered, or you don't have a genuine Asus router.