What's new

custom DNSMasq for IPTV configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thijs135

New Around Here
Hello guys,

I've been running a WRT54G with DDWRT for years behind my other router. This is needed for my IPTV setupbox. But now it's time to upgrade to a single AC68U router instead of running two old routers. I have installed the latest stable Merlin firmware.

A manual for the IPTV setupbox explains the two steps needed to configurate for DDWRT:
1. I need to fill in the following rules as "Additional DHCPd Options" (other options unchanged: "Used Domain: WAN, Lan Domain: empty")
2. I need to fill in the same as "DNSMasq" (other options unchanged: DNSMasq: enable; Local DNS: disable)
Code:
dhcp-option=140,IPNR1,IPNR2,IPNR3,IPNR4
dhcp-option=141,IPNR1,IPNR2,IPNR3,IPNR4 
dhcp-option=170,01 
dhcp-option=171,IPNR5,IPNR6
dhcp-option=172,"telsey" 
dhcp-option=160,160c.0400
dhcp-option=165,0101
dhcp-option=166,IPNR5,IPNR6
(IPNRx= IP number x)

How do I do this for the AC68u?

Could you help me retire my old WRT54G? Thanks in advance!

RMerlin, thank you for the tutorial. There was no dnsmasq.conf yet so I added the rules into dnsmasq.conf and uploaded it into /jffs/configs. I also restarted the router a few times to check if it was okay.

The problem is that my IPTV device can't connect to the internet. It shows repeatedly:
Code:
Mar  3 19:25:51 dnsmasq-dhcp[818]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) %MACADRESS%
Mar  3 19:25:51 dnsmasq-dhcp[818]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.0.203 %MACADRESS%
Mar  3 19:25:51 dnsmasq-dhcp[818]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.0.203 %MACADRESS%
Mar  3 19:25:51 dnsmasq-dhcp[818]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.0.203 %MACADRESS%
(it also used dnsmasq-dhcp[692] and 4492 and 696 a few times, but mostly 818)
I tried using a DMZ to be sure. I also tried rebooting the IPTV a few times.

Could it be a problem that the IPTV tutorial says I have to paste the same information in both Additional DHCPd Options and DNSMasq?
Does anybody have an idea how to solve this? I other devices work.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
dnsmasq.conf will completely overwrite the one generated by the router, so you have to also include every other config lines usually generated by the router. If you want to append to the file, use a dnsmasq.conf.add. If you want to modify the generated config file, read the documentation on postconf scripts.

I am not sure but I don't think the problem is with the dnsmasq.conf. I put the code from my first post into dnsmasq.conf. My setupbox should be able to connect, but it doesn't.

Do you have any idea why it doesnt connect?

Thank you.

I am not sure but I don't think the problem is with the dnsmasq.conf. I put the code from my first post into dnsmasq.conf. My setupbox should be able to connect, but it doesn't.

If your dnsmasq.conf contains nothing else than your entries, then you are missing a lot of important entries needed for proper dnsmasq operation. A custom dnsmasq.conf completely overwrites the one generated by Asus.

Thank you.

Did you restart dnsmasq after appending your additional options to dnsmasq.conf?

I think it would be a good idea to telnet/ssh into the router and 'cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf' to see whether your additional dhcp options have actually been retained.

Another thing to do would be to add 'log-dhcp' to the dnsmasq.conf file - this enables dhcp logging to syslog...so you can see what dhcp options are being requested by clients *and* what replies dnsmasq is providing.

Thank you Merlin and Kevin. I have followed up your comments and renamed dnsmasq.conf to dnsmasq.conf.add and included log-dhcp. I upgraded to the new 378.51 firmware today and saw the custom config was loaded correctly.

Edit: And it finally works! cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf is a good tool to use. I am now going to retire my WRT54G. Thank you for all the help.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!