What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.31SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-29sf-hw.85461/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-30sf-hw.86438/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.31SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.30SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.40->2.41.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.21.0->1.21.3.
3. curl package is upgraded 8.2.1->8.4.0 (fixing CVE-2023-38545, CVE-2023-38546).
CVE-2023-38545: high severity vulnerability​
CVE-2023-38546: low severity vulnerability​
4. nghttp2 package is upgraded 1.55.1->1.57.0 (fixing CVE-2023-44487).
(score 7.5. High)​
5. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1v->1.1.1w (fixing CVE-2023-4807).
(score 7.8, High, but actually is not related to router firmware)​
6. samba36: add patches to fix CVE:
CVE-2015-5330, CVE-2017-11103, CVE-2017-2619, CVE-2018-14629, CVE-2018-16841,​
CVE-2018-16851, CVE-2018-16860, CVE-2019-10218, CVE-2019-3880, CVE-2020-10745,​
CVE-2020-14303​
7. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.71->1.4.72.
8. ethtool package is upgraded 6.4->6.5.
9. ipset package is upgraded 7.17->7.19.
10. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.8->1.3.8a.
11. bind package is upgraded 9.18.18->9.18.19.
12. coreutils package is upgraded 9.3->9.4.
13. sysstat package is upgraded 12.7.2->12.7.4.
14. zlib package is upgraded 1.2.13->1.3.
15. gettext-full package is upgraded 0.21.1->0.22.3.
16. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.17.1->1.18.0.
17. dbus package is upgraded 1.14.8->1.14.10.
18. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.14->3.15.
19. Kernel: Linux kernel patch to fix build with binutils >= 2.41.
20. Init script 'net-lan': add call of '/usr/sbin/update_user'.
21. Remove dummy 'gettext' and 'libiconv' packages ('gettext-full' and 'libiconv-full' are used instead of).
22. Host tools: upgrade mpfr to 4.2.1.
23. Host tools: upgrade mtd-utils to 2.1.6.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

I have a question about Orbi RBR50/Voxel. I use OpenVPN running on my Orbi on Voxel Firmware (i forget what build for Voxel, it's about a year old, but I'm probably going to update this shortly). I use this to connect to a VPN server in the United States (I live elsewhere currently). Anyways, I'm able to telnet in and configure OpenVPN for NordVPN, which takes a few minutes but works perfectly fine.

The issue is whenever my router reboots I lose all my settings when I reboot. In fact, the entire "/etc/openvpn/config/client/" directory that I create is gone. I suspect the issue is that this is all stored in RAM, but I'm not sure.

- Is there anyway to retain this configuration on reboot -- such as using a ext4 formatted usb drive to retain my settings?

Thanks for any help in advance!

The issue is whenever my router reboots I lose all my settings when I reboot. In fact, the entire "/etc/openvpn/config/client/" directory that I create is gone. I suspect the issue is that this is all stored in RAM, but I'm not sure.

- Is there anyway to retain this configuration on reboot -- such as using a ext4 formatted usb drive to retain my settings?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Check QuickStart.txt instruction. Included into archive with firmware:
. . .
2. Overlay partition on USB.
Original stock firmware uses tmpfs overlay partition (in RAM). So all you changes in
the files/dirs are kept only until next reboot of router/satellite. If you need to keep
your changed/added files you should use external USB disk/stick formatted as
ext2/ext3/ext4 with /overlay directory on the root where you should add your new or
modified files keeping the dirtree of Orbi.
. . .

I.e. your OpenVPN files should be kept in /mnt/sda1/overlay/etc/openvpn/config/client/ to survive reboot.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Thanks Vox!! Worked like a charm! I finally installed Entware as well, but I'll get into the weeds with that another day. I just donated to your paypal. You provide an invaluable service -- thank you for doing what you do!

@Voxel any chance you can include this feature request in next firmware release ?

Sorry for crossposting - I was not sure you were monitoring issues on GitHub.

You can test it now using "2. Overlay partition on USB." seciton from QuickStart.txt:

Voxel.
Thanks ! For those interested (if not in core build), assuming sda1 is USB mounted:

Code:
cd /mnt/sda1/overlay
wget https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/dropbearmulti-verbose.tar.gz -O - | tar -xzvf -
mkdir -p usr/sbin
cd usr/sbin
ln -s ../bin/dropbearmulti dropbear
You can then edit .../overlay/etc/init.d/dropbear and add -v(v...) option (+ reboot)

I can confirm with dropbear -h that the v option is showing up but I don't see the dropbear logs through the UI. /var/log/messages doesn't list them - I am using syslog-ng. Any idea where to grab them ?

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is a silly or overly complex question. I'd like to be able to remotely either restart my VPN, turn it off, or even possibly use a different config so I can connect to a different server.

Is this possible using Mosh and SSH? Possibly with some sort of batch command for switching config files.

Thanks ! For those interested (if not in core build), assuming sda1 is USB mounted:

Code:
cd /mnt/sda1/overlay
wget https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/dropbearmulti-verbose.tar.gz -O - | tar -xzvf -
mkdir -p usr/sbin
cd usr/sbin
ln -s ../bin/dropbearmulti dropbear
You can then edit .../overlay/etc/init.d/dropbear and add -v(v...) option (+ reboot)

I can confirm with dropbear -h that the v option is showing up but I don't see the dropbear logs through the UI. /var/log/messages doesn't list them - I am using syslog-ng. Any idea where to grab them ?
Anyone ? `dropbear` does log details when running in foreground (-F) but not in background. I looked everywhere and could not find where the logs would be saved. Documentation says syslog but nothing in /var/log/messages

@Voxel
Hello,
I'm trying to install ctrld on my RBK50, but the binary and the config files get deleted on each reboot.
Is there any folder on the Voxel firmware that’s writable and persistent between reboots?
Here's the GitHub issue requesting support for Voxel Firmware.
Thanks.

Hi! So currently running stock v2.7.5.4 on my RBR50 and RBS50. The quick start notes states you need to be at stock firmware V2.5.2.4.

Do I need to downgrade from v2.7.5.4 to v2.5.2.4 before I upgrade to Voxels v9.2.5.2.31SF-HW?

Or can I directly upgrade from stock v2.7.5.4 to Voxels image?

Lastly, do I upgrade the Satellites first and then the Router last or Router First then Satellites?

Thank you!

Hi! So currently running stock v2.7.5.4 on my RBR50 and RBS50. The quick start notes states you need to be at stock firmware V2.5.2.4.

Do I need to downgrade from v2.7.5.4 to v2.5.2.4 before I upgrade to Voxels v9.2.5.2.31SF-HW?

Or can I directly upgrade from stock v2.7.5.4 to Voxels image?

Thank you!
You need to downgrade from v2.7.5.4 to v2.5.2.4 first then flash voxel. I recommend disconnecting your modem from the Orbi during the downgrade process and during the upgrade process to voxel to avoid any accidental updates. Please download all Orbi files and voxel files and then disconnect modem from Orbi. Then run the downgrade process, then update to voxel.

You need to downgrade from v2.7.5.4 to v2.5.2.4 first then flash voxel. I recommend disconnecting your modem from the Orbi during the downgrade process and during the upgrade process to voxel to avoid any accidental updates. Please download all Orbi files and voxel files and then disconnect modem from Orbi. Then run the downgrade process, then update to voxel.
Ok that's what I understood. Will i lose my configurations when I downgrade to v2.5.2.4? I understand the upgrade from v2.5.2.4 to Voxel will maintain the configurations.

Thank you for confirming! 👍

Both the RBR50 and RBS50. Prior to October, the firmware was updated regularly by Voxel, if not monthly. Thanks.

Releases have been coming out about every 2 months for the last year. It’s the holiday season, I’m sure voxel has been busy. I believe if support had stopped, he would give us an update.

Update. Solved. I was behind CG-Nat from my provider.

Hi,
Thank you for the great firmware. Im running latest version V9.2.5.2.32SF-HW on my RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites connected.
Im tryning to setup and use built in VPN server.
I set up opendns and verified it works - ip address is synchronized.

I'm enabling VPN server, leaving all port setting default and changing to allow both internal network and internet.
I downloaded ,ovpn config file, use it to set up open vpn clients and trying to connect to vpn server supposedly running on my orbi router.

Im trying to connect from windows and iphone from cellular network. For some reason i cant connect neither from Windows or iPhone,
In iPhone client log i see client tries to connect to correct ip address using 12973 port via UDPv4 but it fails and connection is timed out.

What may be the reason? Is openvpn server in latest firmware works correctly?
Sorry - im not very familiar with this, can you please help how to check?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!