What's new

CUSTOM/FORK RMERLIN FIRMWARE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the AC66U once the firmware has been updated, NVRAM cleared (eg hold reset button for 5 seconds while its powered on) and reset the router to defaults and you telnet in and run;

nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set wl_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl_txpower=you choose
nvram set wl0_txpower=you choose
nvram set wl1_txpower=you choose
nvram commit
reboot

What numbers do you set for the 'you choose' options? Simply 500 for 500mw for example?
Also i assume the #a settings above for country code are ok, I am UK based?

Thanks for any help.

So is the 100% producing the same power output as before or is this unknown at present?

If not i guess some testing with inSSIDer might be of help.

'As before' compared to what?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=155407&postcount=1

* By default (100%) this FW will increase 10-16dbm/rssi wireless signal strength over stock/other FWs, depending on router model.

Yes, you can do a compare on 100 (100%) vs 500 (500%) and see the results with inSSIDer, TBH i didn't tested/measured values higher than 100, that part needs to be tested and compared, time is short :(

There's a chance of values higher than 100% being ignored by the FW, if that's the case i can change it.

Last edited:
You are welcome, i will wait a feedback of yours.

did anyone manage to grab the AC66 firmware, as the download link is dead, someone took the files down?

All links are working perfectly fine, use the first post links and not old ones from users quotes.

Last edited:
wl power

What power is set when load firmware, full power 100% ~700mW?
I have look at this thread but unsure whats right.
So I don't load firware and get full power output first.

Octopus

100% = 316mW

100% = 316mW

Okey, and adjust power is only from,
nvram set wl_txpower=you choose
nvram set wl0_txpower=you choose
nvram set wl1_txpower=you choose
or is tx power adjustment with power slide? I only need 100mW power.

Octopus

Last edited:
Then:

nvram set wl_txpower=100
nvram set wl0_txpower=100
nvram set wl1_txpower=100

From what i recall it works this way:

wl_txpower = powerslide
wl0_txpower = 2.4ghz
wl1_txpower = 5ghz

You can adjust it with power slide or via ssh.

Last edited:
FYI, distributing forked builds without source is a violation of the GPL terms under the original/RMerlin's firmwares - please provide a link to sources with your builds.

Then:

nvram set wl_txpower=100
nvram set wl0_txpower=100
nvram set wl1_txpower=100

From what i recall it works this way:

wl_txpower = powerslide
wl0_txpower = 2.4ghz
wl1_txpower = 5ghz

You can adjust it with power slide or via ssh.

Okey
Thank you, I test later this weak.

Octopus

Unfortunatelly you will have to wait, sorry.

Please dont use my FW until i release the source code.

Unfortunatelly you will have to wait, sorry.

Please dont use my FW until i release the source code.

IMHO this should be a massive red flag to anyone interested in using this firmware fork - one of the major benefits of using open source software, especially in circumstances like wireless routers, is transparency. It provides a sense of confidence that the firmware was developed in good faith and does not contain any quietly injected malware to steal personal information, etc.

Creating a GitHub account and pushing an initial commit takes little time at all - if this is a true RMerlin fork it should be incredibly simple (GitHub automatically forks projects into your own repository), it's just a matter of pushing your own changes overtop.

Not to jump to conclusions that this firmware isn't in good faith but it is good practice to be cautious when developers are very firm in refusing to share source where they're mandated to.

I also agree with you, that's why i told you to not use it if you don't trust it until source code is released.

Yes you are right about Github not taking time, the problem is that if i release the code you will not do much with it, you would need alot of manual intervention to compile it because i have updated the packages but not fixed alot parts on the Makefile code, you will see errors all over the place and thats the main reason, and that part takes TOO MUCH TIME.

If anyone here on this forum (administrators) want, please remove this thread until i have it finished/ready, no problem at all.

Not to jump to conclusions that this firmware isn't in good faith but it is good practice to be cautious when developers are very firm in refusing to share source where they're mandated to.

Maybe you didn't read the part where i told "i will release it soon".

You should tell me where you've read that part BOLD on the quote, i think you are inventing words that i never told/written.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=155458&postcount=5

Last edited:
the problem is that if i release the code you will not do much with it, you would need alot of manual intervention to compile it because i have updated the packages but not fixed alot parts on the Makefile code, you will see errors all over the place and thats the main reason, and that part takes TOO MUCH TIME.

Doesn't matter, the GPL license explicitly states that if you wish to redistribute the software in binary format, you must - without exception - provide the source code as well. Regardless of the intervention required to make it compile, you still must fulfill the license agreements.

Maybe you didn't read the part where i told "i will release it soon".

You should tell me where you've read that part BOLD on the quote, i think you are inventing words that i never told/written.[/url]

I'm well aware you said "soon" - it's not an excuse for license violations is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!