What's new

CUSTOM/FORK RMERLIN FIRMWARE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HDD mount problem

Hi hggomes,

A tried this firmware (v3.0.0.4_378.50_HGG-V2*ALPHA) on my RT-N18U, but I have a problem to mount my usb3 drive (1 Tb Toshiba 2,5 HDD with one ntfs partition).
The router recognized it but mounting was not succesful. It showed me unmounted. I tried it several times (restart router) without any success. So I couldn't enable Aidisk and install Download Master...

I back to latest stock firmware, and it mounted my hdd and I can access it.

What can I do to work it correctly in your custom Merlin firmware?
The half of the drive is under use and I can't backup it to another, so formatting is not a good solution. After all If i have to do it, I prefer ntfs because sometimes I use it under windows.

My problem with stock firmware is connect with media server scanning. I have to manually re-scan/re-enable this feature to force scanning. Has Merlin version got a solution for this annoying issue to work it automatically when I copy a media file?

Last edited:
Yes, thats another problem on the alpha versions, thank you for your feedback i will try to upload today latest 376.49 stable version.

Hi hggomes,

A tried this firmware (v3.0.0.4_378.50_HGG-V2*ALPHA) on my RT-N18U, but I have a problem to mount my usb3 drive (1 Tb Toshiba 2,5 HDD with one ntfs partition).
The router recognized it but mounting was not succesful. It showed me unmounted. I tried it several times (restart router) without any success. So I couldn't enable Aidisk and install Download Master...

I back to latest stock firmware, and it mounted my hdd and I can access it.

What can I do to work it correctly in your custom Merlin firmware?
The half of the drive is under use and I can't backup it to another, so formatting is not a good solution. After all If i have to do it, I prefer ntfs because sometime I use it under windows.

My problem with stock firmware is connect with media server scanning. I have to manually re-scan/re-enable this feature to force scanning. Has Merlin version got a solution for this annoying issue to work it automatically when I copy a media file?

Last edited:
Yes, thats another problem on the alpha versions, thank you for your feedback i will try to upload today latest 376.48 stable version.

Thanks for you quick reply and for stable version of fw.

Has this firmware (for RT-N18U) any improvement about media server function? Because my tv with dlna can't access always my drive, and scanning works with problems as I mentioned before.

About Media Server issue i never seen it happening because i never used it, but if there's a problem with it im sure ASUS/RMerlin will fix it.

No improvement, this FW is based on RMerlin code.

When i said right settings, i was referring to the channel selection on the WEBUI.

36,40,44,48 = no DFS

http://www.digitalairwireless.com/files/5GHz_Wireless_Channels_1358630379.png

Yes, that's right, channels 36-40 do not implement DFS or TPC, nor are they required for those channels.

But what happens when you use YOUR version of someone else's firmware, and set if for a region other than EU? Do you actually know whether DFS or TPC are being implemented? And if you know, please explain how you know.

It's nice to see you also have time to continue to upload newer versions, yet you haven't found the 15 minutes or so that it would take you to publish the source code to a git.

But just keep deflecting and ignoring the terms of the GPL. It's been more than a month since you first uploaded, and yet you keep saying you don't have time. With all due respect, I find that a bit odd and more than a little bit of a red flag.

Why don't you try yourself and find the answer? Looking at the source code changes will not give you any answer about it, you will need to test it by yourself flashing the FW on the router or edit your bootloader and use any other FW, using your own words "someone else's firmware", that's the only way.

On my AC87U DFS/TPC works perfectly fine, i didn't test it on any other model but i suppose it works too.

Im really sorry about being violation GPL terms for 1 month now, i already have explained why i don't uploaded the source code, it's incomplete and requires alot manual intervention to compile and I DONT WANT TO UPLOAD IT THAT WAY (broken) until i fix it.

In the meantime you can complain about the same issue on Tomato Shibbys forums. :)

It's not by reapeating all the time at every single post about source code not being released that it will be out faster, i have already read it.

PLEASE DONT USE THIS FW IF YOU DON'T TRUST IT, UNTIL SOURCE CODE IS RELEASED

I'm surprised/glad about all your interest on my FW, i didn't realise it until your recent posts.

Last edited:
Im really sorry about being violation GPL terms for 1 month now, i already have explained why i don't uploaded the source code, it's incomplete and requires alot manual intervention to compile and I DONT WANT TO UPLOAD IT THAT WAY (broken) until i fix it.

I hate to be this blunt but you're not sorry at all. You keep apologizing and apologizing and making promises you don't deliver on and even after this latest apology...still no source.

Let me be clear with this.

You MUST upload the source code regardless of its state. If the code is incomplete and requires a lot of intervention to even build, why are you releasing it? How could anyone ever trust flashing this firmware onto their routes with such a statement?

You CANNOT CHOOSE when to upload the source. Source code MUST be distributed with each binary release, or point to a location where the latest source is available. By downloading and distributing a fork of RMerlin's code you AGREED to this license. Shibby may not upload his source code immediately but he does make it available. This forum has not seen one line of source from you.

You need to stop with the excuses and start complying with the license, NOW. If you are not willing to provide source then take this firmware down.

let him burn! TERRORIST!

I envy soooo much jegesq and got_milk. You rly can't even imagine how much I do envy you... Your biggest problem is, that someone is not yet complying with GPL license. :) When I grow up guys, I want to be like you... I mean it (it must a be a beautiful life, if this is your biggest problem).

But I do agree with you... LET HIM BURN! Today it is non-compliance with GPL, tomorrow he might kill someone.

Now stop filling this thread with BS, wait till the end of the week, and then whatever happens, don't start again.

Now back to the point...
@hggomes: Reverted back to stable release, as expected, those webui issues we have discussed yesterday are gone, but that jffs is still not working.
Could you pls post an output from 'mount' cmd so I can try to mount it manualy?

Guys, please let's not reproduce the public noise about GPL compliance that occurred on Linksysinfo back when people were pushing Shibby to release the source code to Tomato-ARM and his initial reaction was not to (which he eventually did, a few weeks later).

The demand has been made to the author, and he acknowledged receiving the demand. At that point if users aren't satisfied with his response, either make further demands in private, or file a complain to the FSF. Debating and arguing the case on the public forum won't do any good and will only lead to a deterioration of the forum atmosphere.

I just want to keep the atmosphere on the public forums a healthy one. Thank you for your understanding.

You guys couldn't wait 2 more days ah?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21489&page=9#84

It's done, binaries were removed just for you (got_milk) and jegesq, is all ok now?

I really should have fixed all things first and then release both, the FW and the source code, that would avoid me so much impatience in here, once again i'm sorry for that, my mistake.

The binaries will be available again when the source code is ready, unfortunatelly after this i decided to use my Friday spare time to do better things than being at front of a computer licking lines of code.

I'm sure got_milk and jegesq don't mind of waiting now...

I'm really sorry and cheers to all.

Last edited:
Have you checked your syslog after applying both jffs2 options on WEBUI? You will need to reboot the router after.

Do you see any kind of warning/error message?

Let me take a look at the code and i will get back to you :)

let him burn! TERRORIST!

I envy soooo much jegesq and got_milk. You rly can't even imagine how much I do envy you... Your biggest problem is, that someone is not yet complying with GPL license. :) When I grow up guys, I want to be like you... I mean it (it must a be a beautiful life, if this is your biggest problem).

But I do agree with you... LET HIM BURN! Today it is non-compliance with GPL, tomorrow he might kill someone.

Now stop filling this thread with BS, wait till the end of the week, and then whatever happens, don't start again.

Now back to the point...
@hggomes: Reverted back to stable release, as expected, those webui issues we have discussed yesterday are gone, but that jffs is still not working.
Could you pls post an output from 'mount' cmd so I can try to mount it manualy?

Last edited:
If you have jffs mounted, just send me that output, I should be able to mount it manually. Just to see if it works at all... then I can start to think about why it is not automounting.
I'm new to Xwrt, so I just don't have any idea what should I try to mount :)

No need to spend too much time on that, since only reason I need it, is to set iptables rules... that, I believe, could be easily done from USB drive. (jffs is just more convenient I guess)

I found these errors in syslog:
Jan 1 01:00:14 kernel: tfat: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Jan 1 01:00:14 syslog: can't load module tntfs (/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/fs/tntfs.ko): invalid module format
Jan 1 01:00:14 kernel: tntfs: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Jan 1 01:00:14 kernel: thfsplus: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Jan 1 01:00:14 syslog: can't load module thfsplus (/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/fs/thfsplus.ko): invalid module format

Last edited:
Here you have it:

# df

/dev/mtdblock4 64256 2072 62184 3% /jffs

# mount

/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)

# cat /etc/mtab

/dev/mtdblock4 /jffs jffs2 rw,noatime 0 0

Also check the output of this:

# cat /proc/mtd

Last edited:
Voilá, thanks for your feedback :)

I will back to you in a few, let me know if you found any more syslog errors.
If you have jffs mounted, just send me that output, I should be able to mount it manually. Just to see if it works at all... then I can start to think about why it is not automounting.
I'm new to Xwrt, so I just don't have any idea what should I try to mount :)

No need to spend too much time on that, since only reason I need it, is to set iptables rules... that, I believe, could be easily done from USB drive. (jffs is just more convenient I guess)

I found these errors in syslog:
Jan 1 01:00:14 kernel: tfat: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Jan 1 01:00:14 syslog: can't load module tntfs (/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/fs/tntfs.ko): invalid module format
Jan 1 01:00:14 kernel: tntfs: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Jan 1 01:00:14 kernel: thfsplus: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Jan 1 01:00:14 syslog: can't load module thfsplus (/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/fs/thfsplus.ko): invalid module format

Last edited:
Sorry i missed the lines, i've edited now :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!