What's new

CVE-2019-14899 VPN Injection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tului

Occasional Visitor
Any word from Asus about this?

"
Security researchers found a new vulnerability allowing potential attackers to hijack VPN connections on affected *NIX devices and inject arbitrary data payloads into IPv4 and IPv6 TCP streams.

They disclosed the security flaw tracked as CVE-2019-14899 to distros and the Linux kernel security team, as well as to others impacted such as Systemd, Google, Apple, OpenVPN, and WireGuard."

Any word from Asus about this?
Reading the explanation here this doesn't seem particularly applicable to home routers. They are talking about a VPN client running on a PC, and that PC has connected to an access point that's already totally owned by the bad guys.

Last edited:
This indeed indicate it requires the AP to already be under the control of the attacker, therefore I don't see it as a risk in this case. The typical attack is more along the lines of when you are connecting to an AP that you do not control, then the owner of that AP may be able to extract some information relative to your VPN connection (but not the actual content).

In short: nothing to worry about here.

I guess more to fear from a NordVPN tier compromise

The most likely scenario would be if you were connecting to a public hotspot, and a malicious entity had control over that public hostpot, and used it to deduce some of that info.

I have a feeling that this vulnerability does not affect the TAP tunnels ....

They write: " This allows us to inject data into the TCP stream and hijack connections"
Does anyone know whether this "data" would be processed in terms of correct decryption and processing by the victim, or is this just garbage that cannot be decrypted and is discarded right away?