What's new

D-Link 655 A4 or trendnet 633GR ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know about the heatsinks on the current Trendnet revision.

They are essentially the same router. Buy on warranty, brand preference and price.

Thanks,

My Trendy 633 just died. It may be under warranty but I need one today so the only locally one will be the D-link 655.

I have been raking my Comcast folks over the coals about my internet speed going away every evening to a crawl or none. I think the Trendy 633 was slowly going out.
Two bucket trucks and tech visits and a week later I come home and the router would not even see the internet any more. All the lights indicated OK. Reset it, firmware flashed it and nothing.
By pass it and my connection screams.

I'm going to trash it but would like to hear how you guys would confirm it's dead.

Can I get you to spell it out for me on the between two machines?

When all done I hope to be using a working D-link.
I'll have a cable going to my laptop from it's switch.

So would I come out of the working D-link switched port.
To the Trendnet's internet port.
Out of a switched port to the laptop ans see if I am still connected?

I take it the Trendnet will need to be powered up. And I hope it would not need configuration because I cannot get into it's URL setup.

Thanks

Why can't you get to the admin web page?
Did you try the return to factory reset button and the default IP?
Is the wireless still transmitting?

Maybe you now just have a 4 port switch...

I haven't had success reviving dead routers, once the flash is messed up that's it.

I don't know why I cannot get into the router's admin page. The login screen will not even show up. The browser times out.

I really need a way to confirm it's dead before tossing it in the can.
I just need the test procedure spelled out.

I really really liked the router. Not ever a single issue.

Simpler test:
- Reset the Trendnet to factory defaults using the back panel switch.
- Set a computer to Obtain an IP address automatically and plug it into
one of the router switch ports.
- Computer should get an IP address and be able to log into the router admin
page.
- If the computer doesn't get an IP address and/or you can't then log into the router admin page, it's dead.

You may have "really really" liked the router, but it died a premature death. Time to move on.

Thanks

Thanks thiggins,

I'll run the test tomorrow. I'm busy with the below tonight.

I have an A4 DIR-655 up and running and getting the famous internet connection drop outs. I didn't look at their forums first but as soon as I seen it I went there and found I am not excluded from the problem.

I got an A4 1.20 firmware off the shelf. I have tried all the firmware releases since and am on the Beta now and have had only a single drop out after almost an hour. They were every five minutes before. The 1.21 slowed it but it was still there.

I'm not going to count that one since it was so long between intervals. I was doing some configurations on my laptop with a Delkin expresscard Draft N adapter and that may have been the culprit.

If I can sneak a question in here, the Delkin F5D8073 used to run 300 Mbps to the Trendnet. But I now have the Realtek (PC onboard NIC) set to run Jumbo 6k Frames with my DS 209+. I now get 130 Mbps.

Last edited:
when my last router died it was doing a broadcast storm and disrupting network traffic. I ended up using a packet sniffer called wireshark (now) and discovered it L2 broadcasting a 100 times a sec even after the initial powerup. I stopped using it as a switch and immediately tossed it in the trash.

Hi Guys,

Turns out it was an error on my part somehow. I am using my first NAS, a 209+ and somewhere in the mix I did something wrong. It may have been with easy internet. I dunno. :confused:

If I had the NAS connected there was no internet on the machine or wireless or wired to my others.
After I got the D-Link DIR-655 home and online it was the same so I knew I now had two good routers in the house.
With the NAS out of the picture they both worked.
I didn't discover this before getting the 655 because I didn't think to take out the NAS. Ugh!
I tried everything and finally had to set the NAS back to factory spec. I had already updated the firmware so the OE disk was useless but got it from D-link's site.

All is well now. I think somehow instead of the NAS being a part of "a" network I did something to make it "a" network.

The D-Link is a DIR 655 A4 w/1.20 firmware and was horrid out of the box with internet drop outs. BAD. I upgraded the FW and it slowed but still there. Yes I was resetting and cycling power after the flashes.
The BETA the BETA! The latest beta FW has it really running fine now.

Doing tests between the two routers for signal strength using Wireless Monitor both perform identically in G or N signal strength and JUMBO frame wired transfers @ 4, 6 & 9k. I'm no LAB but they seem like the same router.

Thinking I was without a router and having to drive 30 miles or wait three days has me keeping both routers letting the Trendnet rest. I'm running the 655 because it's new and want to make sure it will hold up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online