What's new

D-Link DGS-1008D Replacement switch for home use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Schroinx

New Around Here
My D-Link DGS-1008D 8-port gigabit low energy switch seems to have died on me after years of faithful service so I am looking for a replacement in the same category, so a good brand at a good price.

The cabled part of the network is one media server, one htpc, one receiver and a Asus RT-N56U
and a handful of wireless devices such as phones, laptops and ipads. The gigabit is important due to that the server hosts the movies for the htpc and low energy consumption due to the high energy prices here in DK :-D...

I have had troubles with cables once in a while, but one that always works is also one I paid a bit more for, so I'll upgrade them as well. Is there any brand/type I should go for?

Check Netgear's ProSafe line of gigabit switches - lifetime warranty on most of them..

GS108 - unmanaged
GS108E - "smart" which has some management features
GS108T - managed

They're all pretty good - this is an area Netgear has always done well...

Check Netgear's ProSafe line of gigabit switches - lifetime warranty on most of them..

GS108 - unmanaged
GS108E - "smart" which has some management features
GS108T - managed

They're all pretty good - this is an area Netgear has always done well...

Thx. It is in the mail :)

Thx. It is in the mail :)

Cool... which one?

FWIW - I had an old 5 port D-Link fast ethernet unmanaged switch - worked great for over 10 years and was working fine until I finally got around to replacing it with a GBe unmanaged switch...

Cool... which one?

FWIW - I had an old 5 port D-Link fast ethernet unmanaged switch - worked great for over 10 years and was working fine until I finally got around to replacing it with a GBe unmanaged switch...

The D-Link was also close to six years or more. They last fairly well.
I went with the unmanaged one, as I don't need the extra functions.