What's new

D-Link DNS-323: A brand-name NAS worth waiting for

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firmware 1.06

I've tried every firmware since 1.03 and none of them are stable. I've tested 1.06 and it still will not sync correctly if one drive goes bad. All you have to do to test is to open it and pop out a drive. Shut it down and pop the drive back in. Turn it back on and depending on you sync settings (auto or manual) sync it. It says it will take 30+ minutes. After it's done it still says it's degraded. If you access the drives you'll notice that only one of the activity lights blink.

Firmware 1.06 is up on D-Link website, is the problem fixed now?

I'm interested buying DNS-323 because of its lower price tag, but I also want a reliable RAID 1 solution and I am hopping the problem is resolved with firmware 1.06 but I need confirmation.
Does anyone have any feedback?

Fw 1.06 did not solve the problem I had. Seems the left side HD failed and was replaced by Samsung -- they were super.

Joe

FTP server customization

The DNS-323 is at HW level 1.06.
Contains 2 X Maxtor 500G SATA-2
drives in RAID-1 configuration.

I've created the wanted folders on drive-1, and
have setup the user list, and also created a group
that contains some users.
e.g. user1, user2, user3 and user 4.
group1 contains user2 and user3.

So far, so good ........

When adding rules for FTP server access, the panel won't
allow me to define more than 1 rule for a user.
Each user has access to multiple folders, and I
want to grant FTP access to multiple folders for a
specific user. So the error that I encounter is
this: When an existing rule for a user exists, and an
attempt is made to add a second rule (for a different
folder) for the same user, then the 1st rule is
"overwritten" or replaced by the second rule.
It would appear asif the DNS-323 FTP server will
only allow 1 rule per user, irrespective if the rule
is defined for a user or for a group.

Has anyone come across this?? If so, is there a fix
or workaround for this ?? If not, is is possible at
all to grant a user FTP access to multiple folders
(not sub-folders) with a single user logon ??

Would appreciate any advice ............

Best regards, André

FTP server customization (continued)

Read in some of the forum posts (maybe it was the DLINK forum), that 1 folder per user rule is a built-in restriction ... sucks, but I'll work around it.

When setting the FTP server access rules, a default ANONYMOUS user is available in the pulldown list to use.
However, this user does not show up in the tab where USERS and GROUPS are defined, so U cannot set/change the password. I don't mind using the ANONYMOUS user for public access to selective folders, BUT I want to password protect it.

Has anybody found a way to set the password for the "Anonymous" user ??? :confused:
(I've tried the editing of a saved configuration file, but the passwords are encrypted ........). :eek:

Any advice is appreciated.

force re-sync

How do you do a force re-sync on the 323? I've been running 1TBx2 in RAID1 and had to replace a drive. Got the 94% and stop thing going on too. But I'm not sure if my drives are actually synced or if i'll get hosed if the original drive goes down?

I'm a big fan of the DNS-323

I just thought I'd say that I've had my DNS-323 for a couple of years and I love it. I had experienced a problem with drives getting stuck at 94% when formatting as RAID 1, but I got past that (I just tried reformatting several times). I have pulled a drive and reinserted to have it sync, successfully. I did have trouble updating from firmware 1.05 to 1.07 because it prompted to reformat the drive. I backdated to 1.06 and things went fine. Before upgrading, I pulled one of the drives (to preserve it in case the update failed). Once the 1.06 looked stable, I reinserted the other drive and it synced fine. I have 2 WD 1TB "Caviar Black" drives.

I am impressed that DLink continues to update the firmware for the device to accommodate new HD technologies and software demands (e.g., bittorrant).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!