What's new

DAP-1650 as an access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whosmatt

New Around Here
Hi all, new here and thinking it's time to upgrade my wireless network. I run a pfsense router and a TP-Link TL-WA801ND as my main AP. It's a good little AP, especially for the price, but having recently upgraded my internet connection to 150Mbps down, it simply can't keep up. My goals for upgrading are two-fold: One, I want to upgrade to an AC AP that can provide my full 150Mbps down to wireless clients within my very small (~600 sq ft) home. Second, I want to provide better coverage (not necessarily with full throughput) to my back yard.

I'm considering the DAP-1650 for several reasons. One, the price is compelling. Two, it has a 1Gbps switch built in. That means I can put it in my living room or in my office; both places already have ethernet run and I can just use the switch to provide wired access to the devices already using the ethernet. Three, I like the way it looks. It won't look stupid sitting next to my TV or on a shelf in my office. I like to keep my network gear invisible or at least non-intrusive.

As far as the yard, I'm thinking I could move the TL-WA801ND out of my office and into the attic toward the very back of the house. It has a PoE injector so a simple Cat5 run would do the trick.

Guess I'm mainly wondering if anyone has experience with the DAP-1650 as an AP and whether it will indeed provide what I'm looking for.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!