What's new

Dark Knight/pppoa/modem confusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diverseft

New Around Here
Hi Guys

(Posted this in the "Other LAN" thread as I believe its a generic issue as opposed to specific to the new toy I have bought - If its in the wrong place please move :)

Based in the UK and have a sky ADSL2+ connection. Bought a Dark Knight to replace the standard piece of crap sky branded sagem wireless g router. Just wondering how you are handling ADSL connections. I have a netgear modem/router lying around and via pppoa authentication I can connect to the Internet no problem. If I connect the WAN port of my Dark knight to the LAN port of the modem, the Dark Knight will get a DHCP lease from the modem of 192.168.... This causes me problems with setting up VPN's, port forwarding as well as having 2 NAT devices etc.

What I am trying to achieve is for the modem to carry out authentication only (No NAT, Ports etc) and assign the WAN port on the Dark Knight the dynamic public IP. This will mean I can configure VPN's, port forwarding etc.

I have done allot of research and it seems 'half bridge' mode is a solution. This is fine but will mean I need to go out and buy another modem which supports this. Other people are saying setup a DMZ or forward traffic and these options I am a bit confused with.

If the Dark Knight supported pppoa would this mean I could set-up the modem in full bridge mode or pppoa passthrough?

Just wondering how other people are doing this who are in the same boat as me.

thanks for any help

t

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!