What's new

Data sharing with 3rd party

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
Nothing new I guess? Reminds me of the extensive TrendMicro and ASUS discussions here.

Nothing new I guess? Reminds me of the extensive TrendMicro and ASUS discussions here.

I think the main complain here is the fact that users cannot fully disable that data sharing. On Asuswrt, I can confirm that Asus are making it as sure as possible to prevent loading the Trend Micro engine if you haven't accepted the associated EULA (the EULA state is checked at various locations within the firmware). They also dedicated a page on the webui to revoking that consent if the user changes his mind.

I think the main complain here is the fact that users cannot fully disable that data sharing. On Asuswrt, I can confirm that Asus are making it as sure as possible to prevent loading the Trend Micro engine if you haven't accepted the associated EULA (the EULA state is checked at various locations within the firmware). They also dedicated a page on the webui to revoking that consent if the user changes his mind.
Yeah, TP-Link doesn't seem to care about things like this. Good to know Asus does.

The truly idiotic thing is that Avira expects you to sign up to their paid for service, before even considering looking into the issue, as otherwise you're not one of their customers and they won't give you any support.

The truly idiotic thing is that Avira expects you to sign up to their paid for service, before even considering looking into the issue, as otherwise you're not one of their customers and they won't give you any support.
This is probably more in TP-Link`s backyard tho, as they write (or if they outsource it, they control software development) the firmware code. Avira possibly only provides TP-Link with the SDK, and leave the whole implementation up to them.

Avira refusing to look at it unless you are a paid customer is probably just a template support script requirement being read by a trained script monkey in their support department, with zero common sense or autonomy whatsoever. The script says they only provide support to registered customers, so the support person stick to it.