What's new

dd-wrt blocked by current Asus firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HallStevenson

Regular Contributor
I've only had an Asus router for ~2 years but from day one, I've ran Merlin's version of f/w. I did use dd-wrt for close to a decade on various Linksys routers and -- don't call me a traitor :) -- but wanted to give dd-wrt a try on my router. I'm currently running Merlin's 380.64 build. I don't remember when, as it didn't impact me, but if I'm not mistaken, Asus added code that blocks 3rd-party software.

a.png

Apparently, there's an Asus utility that will let me force an older version on and then I can install dd-wrt. This is pretty much the part I'm stuck at. I've found the utility, but it's usually listed on a different model's support/download page and I don't know if it works for all or multiple routers or if it's router-specific. If it is, I haven't found one specific for the N66.

Any help ? Suggestions, tips, etc ?

I've found the utility, but it's usually listed on a different model's support/download page and I don't know if it works for all or multiple routers or if it's router-specific. If it is, I haven't found one specific for the N66.
ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.0.0.0
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/

I think the tool is the same for each model. Certainly it's the same for the N66U and AC68U.

Tip: When uploading the firmware, ignore the timing message on the screen. You have to wait a loooong time for it to load. About 45 minutes.

Tip 2: I ended up booting the router in recovery mode to get to the CFE miniweb server and then loaded the firmware from there. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-n66u-stuck-in-recovery-mode-firmware-fails.35838/

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, I can't use the CFE-miniweb method because of the CFE version my router has (?). I have 1.0.1.3. Normally, you'd initially flash a "mini" version of dd-wrt but it's only available in the K2.6 builds and the K2.6 builds don't work with 1.0.1.3.

Is that information still accurate ? It's from here.

Or, what type of builds did you use from CFE, the 'mega', 'big', etc, etc ? I know there are dozens of build versions, 26138, and many others. Which one is the "best" depends on who you ask ! :D

@HallStevenson My N66U had CFE 1.0.1.3 and I could use the miniweb server.

Sorry, I never loaded DD-WRT on my router. I used the recovery mode to go from Merlin's to John's Fork. From there you should be able to load another firmware without restrictions from the GUI.

From what I've read I think you'd need DD-WRT K3.x, but I've no actual experience of it. I used to use DD-WRT on other routers but just got fed up fighting the endless brokenness of each release, the hostile nature of the forums and the hopelessly inaccurate documentation.

You may find that dd-wrt is a step backward in performance.

As RMerlin has said:
Where is performance impacted, WAN side, LAN side, firewall, etc ? I'm just curious to try it. Nothing mission critical here.

I did look at Tomato but info was lacking for my router. Or I was looking in the wrong place.

@ColinTaylor: That may be the simpler route!

When I mentioned my CFE version and the mini server, that was related to having to use only a certain build series and then a certain "type" of dd-wrt build (mini vs mega vs big). I do know what you mean regarding their forums, docs, etc, etc. I actually just laugh about it it's so bad. Other than the docs, which as you say, are often inaccurate or outdated, I'd just go it alone. Well, other than asking here !

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Where is performance impacted, WAN side, LAN side, firewall, etc ? I'm just curious to try it. Nothing mission critical here

Biggest impact is the lack of CTF support in DD-WRT. On an RT-N66U, that means a max WAN throughput of around 175-200 Mbps at full CPU usage (depending on the presence of any complex QoS/firewall rules).

No QoS or firewall rules here. My internet is 60 MB/s.

And don't worry, Erik, I may try it but will likely come back. I read up on your version of Asus f/w before I even owned an Asus router and as I mentioned in the first post, I installed your version the same day I took the router of the box.

Last edited: