What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dfran1

Welcome to dd-wrt firmware!

Asus approval for dd-wrt (Thanks to snbdora)
http://www.asus.com/us/site/routers/DD-WRT/

Thank You saifooz

dd-wrt Firmware is Located Below
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

This is the laptop cooler I use, yes plug it into the back USB port on the router and there is a passthru on it also

"To Clear NVRAM with Asus firmware"
Use the WPS button or get router into recovery mode use Web GUI.
Be careful with the talent commands, avoid if possible or you know what you are doing (applies only to Asus Firmware)
Telnet, log in, enter "mtd-erase -d nvram" or "mtd-erase2" not sure what is proper way.

"To Clear NVRAM with dd-wrt"
Telnet (see instructions below)
enter "erase nvram"
enter "reboot"

When you first install this firmware (first time or factory default it)
NOTE: You may need to reboot your computer after firmware install, most likely you were on the standard 196.168.1.1 that Asus defaults to, or you need to change your IP address on your computer to 192.168.1.? (something other than 192.168.1.1) , subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1. first time you update to dd-wrt or update, after the firmware installs let it sit until the 5GHz light comes on. NOTE the 2.4GHz light will never come on)

"TO FLASH" Coming from Asus firmware (Thanks to saifooz)
1. Download the latest build of DD-WRT firmware for ASUS RT-AC87U. Posted Above.

2. Put RT-AC87U in the recovery mode by following these steps:
- turn off the router
- While pressing the "WPS" button at back; turn on the router and keep holding this button for 2 seconds after the router is on and then leave it.
- Quickly press the "RESET" button at back and keep pressing till the power blue led starting blinking slowly.

3. You may not need this step. Change your LAN or WiFi adapter in Windows to a static IP 192.168.1.2 and Gateway 192.168.1.1 if not identified.

4. Go to your browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 (unless you change it)

5. You should be in the recovery firmware page.
-Press the clear (or reset, I forgot what it says) Nvram button then.
-Browse the firmware you downloaded and press upload button.

6. You should wait and do not turn the router off till it restarts itself automatically. The page could looks hanged but it take a minute or less to finish the upload and then wait till the page says "Firmware update is successful completed". There is a percentage level bar at bottom-left of the web page. (Wait for the 5GHz light to light up, NOTE:there is no 2.4GHz light)

Note: I always do "Upgrade dd-wrt" below and flash again, to get rid of any bugs from the first flash not totally clearing any left over Asus code.

"Upgrade dd-wrt" use the web GUI.
a) Go to "Administration" Tab
b) Click on the "Firmware Upgrade" Tab
c) In the "After flashing, reset to" choose "Reset to Default Settings"
d) In "Please select a file to upgrade" Click "Choose File"
e) Click "Upgrade"

"To Flash Back to Asus Firmware"
If you want to go back to the official firmware you can follow the same method "To Flash" OR "Upgrade dd-wrt", just use an Asus or RMerlin firmware

"To Configure"
1) Log into the web interface of the router using 192.168.1.1
2) Set dd-wrt pass
3) Log into the web interface of the router using 192.168.1.1
4) Set passwords
5a) Configure Wifi
5b) Set wl0 wireless network mode to NG-Mixed
5c) Set wl0 wireless ssid
5d) Set wl1 wireless network mode to AC/N-Mixed
5e) Set wl1 wireless ssid
5f) Set Channel Width on wl1 to VHT (80+80 MHz)
5g) Apply
6a) Set TX Power to "81" in WL1-Advanced optional Apply
6b) Set Preamble to "short" on WL0-Advanced and WL1-Advanced (I find best now)
7) Set wifi security wl0(wpa2 personal/aes),wl1(wpa2 personal,aes) Apply
8) Define new ip address for lan optional
9a) Set hostname optional
9b) Set router name optional
9c) Apply
10) Define new start place for dhcp optional Apply
11) Define dns optional (like googles 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) Apply
12) Set Static Leases optional Apply
13) Set Port Forwarding optional Apply
14) Enable USB support optional Apply
15) set ddns (dyndns) optional Apply
16) add port forwards optional Apply
17) Enable UPnP (in "NAT/QoS" then UPnP tab) I turn this on optional Apply
18) Reboot (only after all your settings are done).

Basic usage of where things are in dd-wrt (menu items in "" are tabs). I always hit "Apply Settings" then "Save" after every change (you may not need to hit save but I do OCD).
1. In "Setup" then "Basic Setup", you have your router name, router IP address you desire if you want to change it, DHCP, DNS, and Time Zone.
NOTE: on the DNS it gives 3 If you even want to change it to your preference or leave it blank for your ISP to handle it, you only have to input the first 2, the last one if left blank will default to your ISP (this is from what I read and think I understood)

2. In "Setup" "DDNS" if you have a ddns service, you put that there.

3. In "Wireless" "Basic Settings" you have your 2.4GHz and 5GHz network names, channels ect.. NOTE: Under 5GHz change, channel width to VHT (80+80 MHz), change Wireless network mode to AC/N-Mixed, and Extension Channel to upper upper NOTE: upper upper may cause issues with 5GHz if so bring it back to lower lower for now

4. In "Wireless" "Wireless Security" you have your wireless passwords, wl0 is 2.4ghz and wl1 is your 5GHz.

5. In "Services" "Services" you have static leases (Asus calls Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list), MAC address to static IP WITH NAMES. You have options in here to turn on or off, telnet, ssh, system log, ect..

6. In "Services" "USB" If you are going to use a usb drive enable all the top 5, yes I know 5 do not show but when you start to enable them the others will show, nothing goes into the 3 text boxes, and disable the SES button to remove drives, why cause it does not work, matter in fact it ejects the drive (I think this is the workaround to eject the usb drive, but not sure), and in disk info you should see your USB drive (I do not know what file system format is not supported)

7. In "Services" "NAS" this is where you enable FTP Server, DLNA, Samba, File sharing for the USB drives. I have DLNA enabled with a path to my usb (/mnt/sda1) nothing in subdir, and just video checked. I have Samba Server enabled with just a Workgroup name. I have File sharing enabled (/mnt/sda1), Media as a name in the name box with read/write. Users = I created a user name and password with access shares and samba checked.

8. In "NAT/QoS" "Port Forwarding" this is where you forward port to devices (IP address) I leave the Source net field blank. Do not forget to check the enable box.

9. In the "Administration" you have your tabs for firmware upgrade, backup, commands, management.

10. In "Status" you have status of various stuff have fun.

"Telnet to your router" (Thanks to "spin kick)
1. Say if its using 192.168.1.1 for its address
2. Go to start/run type "cmd" press enter
3. Type "Telnet 192.168.1.1" press enter
4. The login is "root" the password is whatever you set the password for the router.

"To SSH into router" NOTE: Telnet was enabled by default, so you could use that instead.
1. Open a web page and type 192.168.1.1 (or what you changed it to)
2. Click on the "Services" tab
3. You will be in the 1st tab below the services tab on another "services" tab, if not click it.
4. Scroll down to "Secure Shell"
5. Enable "SSHd" and "password login"
6. Go to "Administration" "Management" in the Remote Access enable SSH Management
6. Open up what you use for ssh on your computer (I use a mac so I open Terminal)
7. Type "ssh root@192.168.1.1 (or whatever you changed your network Router IP to)
8. Hit enter and it will ask for a password, input your password you gave the router.
Your in type your commands

To set up a guest network
Follow these steps in this LINK

To see system Logs (I am not sure this is the proper way??)
1. Go to in the router "Services" "services"
2. Enable "Syslogd" under system log
3. Do a ssh to your router (follow my instructions above) (or use terminal)
4. Type "cat /var/log/messages" or "more /var/log/messages" without quotes. I found here

To get the 2.4 GHz radio version by running the commands
wl ver
wl revinfo

Schedule Reboot
1. Go to "Administration" "Schedule Reboot"
2. Enable Schedule Reboot
3. Click the dot for "At set Time"
4. Enter in the time you want the router to reboot, everyday or what you want.
5. Click "apply"
6. Click "save"

Please let me know if I made any mistakes, as I am new to this also
Thank You and FINALLY we have working routers!!

A General TEST I do with the PS4:
This is LAG
This is no LAG

Network Test (Thanks to Gitsum)
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Last edited:
1. Download the latest build of DD-WRT firmware for ASUS RT-AC87U
v24-SP2 Build 05-09-2015-r26866
Download here

Note: I will post the next updated build here and replace the previous build.

Note: If you want to upgrade from a current dd-wrt firmware to a newer build then you have to upgrade using the WebUI (192.168.1.1)
If you want to update the firmware from the official to this build then follow these steps

2. Put RT-AC87U in the recovery mode by following these steps:
- turn off the router
- While pressing the "WPS" button at back; turn on the router and keep holding this button for 2 seconds after the router is on and then leave it.
- Quickly press the "RESET" button at back and keep pressing till the power blue led starting blinking slowly.

3. You may not need this step. Change your LAN or WiFi adapter in Windows to a static IP 192.168.1.2 and Gateway 192.168.1.1 if not identified.

4. Go to your browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 (unless you change it)

5. You should be in the recovery firmware page. Browse the firmware you downloaded and press upload button.

6. You should wait and do not turn the router off till it restarts itself automatically. The page could looks hanged but it take a minute or less to finish the upload and then wait till the page says "Firmware update is successful completed". There is a percentage level bar at bottom-left of the web page.

if you want to go back to the official firmware you can follow the same method or upgrade it through the dd-wrt webui. The difference is a default reset will be applied.

Saif

YDHRR66.jpg

Last edited:
the network lag test shows lag, but I am testing in game to see if any, should I configure some settings in the firmware for ps4?

is there any easy way to get my USB drive to mount and show in this? (I need baby steps), I started to look into it and so far confusing for a newbie?

on a good note so far the 5GHz is just outstanding in coverage so far and usability, but time will tell, on that note the 2.4GHz light does not light up with this firmware.

I also had to use the Asus restore utility that came on the disk with this router to flash.

Edit: even tho it fails the network lag test (meaning its slow to show), I just got done playing and no lag at all, matter in fact usually I get lag at this time and none. Of course a good week will tell tho.

I did some digging on the 2.4 GHz light not working and others seem to have the issue also, but not a big deal at all, I can live with that.

Last edited:
Cant seem to turn on explicit beamforming for the 5ghz range. Bug, or are they just not using the new drivers for that chip yet? Cant pick the channel i want to use as well for 5gz

is there any easy way to get my USB drive to mount and show in this? (I need baby steps), I started to look into it and so far confusing for a newbie?

Upgrade the firmware with the build I posted today.
Go the "Services" tab then "USB" tab and click "Enabled" on all the first four options and "Disabled" the last five option.
Click "Apply Settings"

Last edited:
Upgrade the firmware with the build I posted today.
Go the "Services" tab then "USB" tab and click "Enabled" on all the five options.
Click "Apply Settings"

WOW that is quick, I will try in ~8 hours when I get home THANK YOU!!

do I have to factory default or anything after ??

EDIT:
On a really positive note-- 5GHz was outstanding on the original, it seems like beam forming was working, because I was getting 5GHz signal like full bars on my iPhone in an area I barely got any with factory asus firmware. I will test again before applying the update and after with an android tablet and my iPhone tonight.

Edit 2:
I meant after I apply the new firmware update, do I need to factory default? I think I do not.

I am very sorry for the basic questions, but maybe others will help also from these.

Also the mac reservation with name's, port forwarding, and DYDNS is also working perfect!!! Great job!! it is a learning curve for me, all I need is the USB drive working, tonight for that.

Last edited:
do I have to factory default or anything after ??

no. Go the "Services" tab then "USB" tab and click "Enabled" on all the first four options and "Disabled" the last five option.
Click "Apply Settings"

Last edited:
hi,
I can not get the 5GHz to come on with new build

I updated and did not reset the first time

I updated a second time and reset to factory defaults

still no 5GHz at all?

Ill try the full method now. just tried and still no 5GHz , broadcast was disabled so I enabled but still nothing

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting. I'll hold off until you see 5ghz come back up. Your sacrifice was not in vain :)

Thanks for reporting. I'll hold off until you see 5ghz come back up. Your sacrifice was not in vain :)

LOL
I downgraded and all is well now.

On another note is your 2.4GHz light working? mine is not just wondering.

Edit:
On the usb disk, I think I do not know how to get it to mount, it did not work, I enabled services DNLA and samba but I do not know what to do from there, it asks for directories but I can't figure out how?
sorry for the newbie on this linux stuff.

Last edited:
I want to fix wl 5GHz and led lights but currently trying to fix uClibc & toolchains to compile the firmware. Give me a while.
They updated the Broadcom driver and 5GHz stoppped working and they rolled back the previous driver.

I want to fix wl 5GHz and led lights but currently trying to fix uClibc & toolchains to compile the firmware. Give me a while.
They updated the Broadcom driver and 5GHz stoppped working and they rolled back the previous driver.

No rush at all!! Take your time.

I am enjoying your first one (please post back the first one on this thread for now, so others can use)

spinkick
I see 80Mz in the wifi settings and changed to that , did you?
I also see beam forming options in there, did you turn them on?
I will later, but its funny my IOS devices get absolutely stunning distance, and my android samsung note 10.1 (first gen) just gets like the factory firmware installed so far (for distance).

All in all, this is the best firmware for wifi and lan, my ps4 has absolutely no lag, and the lag test I have been running is false with this firmware.

All I need to do now is get my USB drive working, I was plugging into usb 3 port but dd-wrt does not support usb 3 yet , I will try 2.0 port this weekend, I found a couple of web sites with instructions but nothing working so far. I am now just using a flash drive to get that to work. does usb drive have to be formatted in any special way? i hope not.

Yeah, no hurry at all. I appreciate the help. I'm new to dd-wrt but it has a ton of nice features vs stock asus. Is there a spot that I can look to see what they change on various builds?

No rush at all!! Take your time.

I am enjoying your first one (please post back the first one on this thread for now, so others can use)

spinkick
I see 80Mz in the wifi settings and changed to that , did you?
I also see beam forming options in there, did you turn them on?
I will later, but its funny my IOS devices get absolutely stunning distance, and my android samsung note 10.1 (first gen) just gets like the factory firmware installed so far (for distance).

All in all, this is the best firmware for wifi and lan, my ps4 has absolutely no lag, and the lag test I have been running is false with this firmware.

All I need to do now is get my USB drive working, I was plugging into usb 3 port but dd-wrt does not support usb 3 yet , I will try 2.0 port this weekend, I found a couple of web sites with instructions but nothing working so far. I am now just using a flash drive to get that to work. does usb drive have to be formatted in any special way? i hope not.

Yep I have 80mghz setup and that changes, however the radio buttons for 5ghz to use beamforming dont seem to stay after you save and apply settings.

Another question, what is the best way to update the firmware to another build?

I know the 30/30/30, but does that apply to this router? Im basically holding down the wps button until it starts flashing, then reboot, install the firmware and log in and go to reset factory defaults again, even though its stock. The regular reset button doesnt seem to do anything on this router with dd-wrt but reboot the thing.

Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):
The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:
With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode...see note below!)
This procedure should be done BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade/downgrade.
Do not use configuration restore if you change firmware builds (different svn build numbers).
[NOTE] - For Asus units, the standard 30/30/30 method will reset the router but you will need to use the Restore button followed by a Power cycle. The only exception (so far) is the RT-N16 model, follow the same method as stated above but use the WPS button instead of the Restore button. If all else fails to reset you can also do it by command line (all units). Login to the router via telnet/ssh and issue the command "erase nvram". This will reset the nvram partition to defaults for this Make of router.....redhawk

Just wondering which button on the back applies to the reset button for this above.

Last edited:
Dfran

What connection speeds are you seeing on the 5ghz when you go to status/wireless and then look at the bottom. I'm only seeing 300 to 450 even on AC devices. Same? Shouldnt we be seeing higher transfer rates? I'm using a macbook pro 2014 that supports wireless ac.

Dfran

What connection speeds are you seeing on the 5ghz when you go to status/wireless and then look at the bottom. I'm only seeing 300 to 450 even on AC devices. Same? Shouldnt we be seeing higher transfer rates? I'm using a macbook pro 2014 that supports wireless ac.

Well i don't see anything wrong with that, my newest wifi device is a ipad air 2 and I get 300, my iphone gets 150 and so does my note 10.1 1st gen, BUT compared to the 2.4 GHz that gets at best 100 I am happy, if I want to transfer a large file and want speed I always plug in, my apple macbook pro is a 2011 so that is slow, I do not know what but?? 300- 450 is a lot better than disconnects, drops, LAG, ect.... any day of the week.

Tonight will be the ultimate lag test, and still no drops in 5GHz wifi (I mean IOS devices that say connected but go nowhere until you stop and restart wifi or reboot the IOS device)

I hope I can figure out the USB on this soon.

EDIT
I finally have it working with a flash drive :).

My router with this firmware is just outstanding.

EDIT:
how do you eject a disk??

Last edited: