What's new

DD-WRT NXT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Buffalo just announced routers loaded with this OS.

I can't find much information on it in either the DD-WRT main site or Forums.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I think its a new name given to those Buffalo routers OS, its DD-WRT FW with some slight modifications / Buffalo theme probably.

considering that DD-WRT is open sourced they could've made their own version without telling anyone hence the lack of information on DD-WRT site.

This is what the Buffalo rep said in response to my asking the difference between DD-WRT and DD-WRT NXT.

The new DD-WRT NXT will focus on system quality and stability by taking a modular approach, gradually adding more features overtime. As the firmware is still fairly new and evolving, the level of feature richness is set to expand.

That said, the DD-WRT NXT architecture offers a more responsive UI and a better foundation for system security and stability when compared to DD-WRT.

I know DD-WRT is open source. But I'd expect at least to find some Forum discussion.

I think its wrong to say that the dd-wrt nxt is better than dd-wrt when they should say optimised for their product but with full compatibility.

I wonder how stable it would actually be.

I think its wrong to say that the dd-wrt nxt is better than dd-wrt when they should say optimised for their product but with full compatibility.

Optimized for their product and with full compatibility is better. ;)

Like a lot of FOSS projects - team disagreements generally result in a fork of the code base...

Not much different that what we've seen in BSD-Land and other projects...

I received this information from a knowledgeable source.

DD-WRT initially gained popularity by giving users a myriad of features not typically found on consumer Linksys and Buffalo routers. With pure shell access, VPN servers, VLANs and an IPTABLES firewall, educated consumers could do some cool stuff. Additionally, businesses with engineering prowess were able to deploy these products at fractions of the prices of higher end gear.

Over time, DD-WRT seemed to upset a handful of users by having a not so open-source friendly development approach and possibly alienated many developers. It seemed DD-WRT as a corporation wanted to dictate the direction. As such, many key developers spun off to OpenWrt to create the platform they wanted. OpenWrt did not have a company behind them, but they did take a large chunk of the development community with them.

Over time, manufacturers began to add the features (VPN, Dynamic DNS, Guest Networks) originally unique to DD-WRT. Also, as chipset makers began making new chips with higher reference power outputs, the emergence of MIMO and other technical issues, it made the power boosting capabilities of DD-WRT relatively moot. DD-WRT also struggled in some cases to get good commercial driver support, and I think you've documented that manufacturer performance tended to beat out DD-WRT. Meanwhile, DD-WRT was not releasing new features, it seemed most of the development was focused on porting the solution to new hardware and trying to keep up.

OpenWrt on the other hand continued to prosper with a development community and instead of focusing on this huge bloated platform, they focused on a light weight platform with a modular package manager and open SDKs for easy development by third parties. As such, much of the corporations wishing to develop their own "cheap" solutions, tended to prefer OpenWrt. Consumers also liked the "package/app store" approach as it just makes sense. It's similar to Synology, Apple Store, Android Store, you name it... OpenWrt did struggle more with hardware support and basically only Atheros ATH9K drivers (Atheros 11n) is well supported. The WRT1900AC Open Source friendly disaster with OpenWrt sort of explains that (Marvell/Belkin/Linksys provided no support and OpenWrt head came out saying their product was pure marketing and no official relationship with any open source development).

All that said, it "seems" DDWRT NXT is a brand new DDWRT focusing on everything that was criticized about DD-WRT original. It is a new, 'unbloated' platform designed with modularity and development in mind. It appears it comes with a limited feature set of popular DDWRT features and will release new features via some package management/module approach. Very much like OpenWrt it seems.

Based on what I can see, this thing has nothing in common with DD-WRT's code except the name. It's based on a SysV filesystem (it has init.d scripts) instead of DD-WRT's monolithic "rc" daemon, and uses UCI for configuration - pretty much like OpenWRT.

Buffalo just announced routers loaded with this OS.

I can't find much information on it in either the DD-WRT main site or Forums.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Have a look here,
http://www.dd-wrt.com/nxt/wiki/doku.php?id=howto:use_cases:management:dropbear_public_key

:~ $ ssh 192.168.1.1

BusyBox v1.22.1 (2015-05-07 14:47:43 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

____ ____ _ _ _ _____ _____ _____ __ __ _____
| \| \ __| | | | __ |_ _| | | | | |_ _|
| | | | |__| | | | -| | | | | | |> < | |
|____/|____/ |_____|__|__| |_| |_|___|__|__| |_|

----------------------------------------------------
Made by embeDD GmbH (Barrier Breaker, r43215)
----------------------------------------------------
root@dd-wrt-nxt:~#

Its based on OpenWRT , i believe

Optimized for their product and with full compatibility is better. ;)

Older Buffalo had dd-wrt but it was big hassle and tricky to move back and forth between dd-wrt and their version.

I was wondering where this project was headed (took me a while just to remember its actual name, as a search for DD-WRT Fork yields no result.) A year later, there's still almost nothing out there. Buffalo refers to the DD-WRT forums for support, where nobody even mentions its existence, and I can't find any downloadable source code either for that "open source firmware".

The Wiki contains what looks almost placeholder pages, and the NXT website hasn't changed in a year either. This is so weird.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!