What's new

DDNS and my nightmares.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fallen2Stealth

New Around Here
So, I have been trying to mess with DDNS lately. The problem is that I am wanting to update Google DNS. Now DD-WRT uses Inadyn which is completely useless as a solution because it does not support SSL.

(I know about DNS-o-matic. If I can not use SSL at my source it is a no go. Period. DNS-o-Matic is a band-aid to allow the use of insecure options instead of a solution for secure updating. Sorry, No.)

Now DDclient is available as Optware but that doesn't work on the RT-AC68U. I have to use Entware here. I understand that I could use a script for this kind of work but I am a Network Engineer not a programmer and the last script I wrote was in MS-DOS Batch about 15 years ago. I have no patience for scripting. I like good old conf files because they are easy for me to work with.

So... How do I get DDclient into Merlin? and does Merlin support MeshCentral? Those are the only two pieces of addon software that I care about. MeshCentral can be accessed from https://meshcentral.com/ and is a free service (In Alpha stage development) from Intel for supporting Intel AMT. (Yes there is an agent for routers that do not support AMT built in.)

This is all I really want Merlin to do is let me finally have these two things on my router. Yes I know where to get the source code for DDclient yes I know I can compile it myself so if your going to tell me to go that route please be prepared to talk me through it in small detailed steps... I have messed up 'make' 'make install' in the past.

So, I have been trying to mess with DDNS lately. The problem is that I am wanting to update Google DNS. Now DD-WRT uses Inadyn which is completely useless as a solution because it does not support SSL.

See this Wiki article on how to configure a custom DDNS script to handle Google DNS:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS

and does Merlin support MeshCentral? Those are the only two pieces of addon software that I care about. MeshCentral can be accessed from https://meshcentral.com/ and is a free service (In Alpha stage development) from Intel for supporting Intel AMT. (Yes there is an agent for routers that do not support AMT built in.)

No, and I have no plan on supporting it either. Sounds like (yet another) security disaster in waiting to me.

I am a Network Engineer not a programmer and the last script I wrote was in MS-DOS Batch about 15 years ago. I have no patience for scripting. I like good old conf files because they are easy for me to work with..

If you're a network admin/engineer that can't work with batch files or scripts. I'd like to have your resume so that I can firmly put it into the "do not hire" pile for my operations and engineering teams..

Seriously... DynamicDNS services are dynamic, hence the name - it's not about static .cfg files..

hint - Curl/Wget are the tools of choice, and rMerlin's tip on the Wiki will get you down the right path...

Please, put some effort into it, and once you figure it out, feel free to share. Others will appreciate the trail you're attempting to blaze here...

Last edited:
Maybe the easy thing is to move your DDNS provider to one which is supported by your router. It does not matter who populates your registered DNS name to the internet. It will spread and be every where shortly.