What's new

DDNS and VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maurizio

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have another of my strange questions...
My current status is|
Asus AC68 manages DDNS
My NAS has a VPN connection
If the VPN is down, I can reach the NAS and all from WAN
If the VPN is UP, I obviously cannot reach the NAS, only other ports in the network.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks,

Maurizio

Maybe it might be clearer if you state what you want or expect to happen?

Thought it was clear... If i can't reach the NAS, that combination is not useful. So, I'd need to reach the NAS in the configuration above: is that possible somehow?
Thanks

have your router be the vpn server so your NAS only has 1 routable address?

Ofcourse to solve this the vpn connection for your NAS must be set as not a default gateway. By default many OSes when connecting to vpn uses it as the internet gateway which can cause it to lose internet connection. Why someone would want to expose their NAS to a public vpn service is madness.

Thanks, but that i cannot as it would mean all connections to go through VPN and i want to keep the localized IP. I know that i could play with the IP table as explained on this forum, but i am looking for an alternative.
Regarding the gateway, my NAS is a Synology and that allows some form of control on the connection, allowing additional security. I am using Perfect-Privacy as VPN service.
I was thinking still some way around static routes or IP tables to allow the incoming connections to follow the correct path to the NAS IP when directed to specific ports, while retaining the original directing when not...
I know it is a long shot... Just asking!

Thanks for the tips!

its simple, make sure the networks of LAN and vpn have a lower metric than internet. The internet route is basically the 0.0.0.0/0 but if a route has the same metric or higher it is ignored because of the /0 subnet that means all ipv4 addresses but if the metric is lower than it will be referred to first before checking the next route.

Looks like a great idea, thanks !

Is it too much to ask how and if i should create a new entry in the Asus' Route page? I imagina under WAN... But then ?
Rememebr i have a DDNS address that changes that i can reach, while both Asus and NAS LAN addresses are fixed, in the rangeof 192.168.1.x

I would really appreciate a hint...

Thx