What's new

DDNS Double NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N

NParker

I'm sure that this issue has been beaten to death in several threads, but I'm having a hell of a time getting my DynDNS to work.
Here's the situation: My apartment complex, in their infinite wisdom, chose to use a new ISP that set up a complex-wide network. This being the case, everything on it (my router!) is behind their equipment as well in a wonderful double NAT setup.
I have no access to the equipment on their end and they refuse to give me a flat public IP, so I've been trying everything I can come up with to get my ddns working again. I've tried a custom ddns-start script, but it didn't really work like it ought to.

#!/bin/sh

username=myuser
password=mypassword
yourhostname=host.domain.org
wget -q http://username:password@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=yourhostname&myi$

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
else
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 0
fi

Wget returns an HTTP1.1 403 Forbidden error (they're probably blocking something) and trying to use curl results in an equal failure. I'm at a loss.

You might want to look at the options within Tomato.

My version of Tomato has the option under dynamic DNS to use an external IP checker. If you enable this option then set up your DynamicDNS you may be able to pull your external IP.

It works for me on my N66U which is double NATed behind a FIOS router.

You might want to look at the options within Tomato.

My version of Tomato has the option under dynamic DNS to use an external IP checker. If you enable this option then set up your DynamicDNS you may be able to pull your external IP.

It works for me on my N66U which is double NATed behind a FIOS router.
Tomato may be my last resort, I'd like to try to stick with Merlin if I can!

Not sure, I never installed either opt or entware.
I think rmerlin included ez-ipupdate in his firmware.

You see in the the script where it says "tun11" or something, I'm not sure if you may need to change that to something else if your not using the vpn. (I could be wrong 50/50 LoL).
give it a try, like I said works great for me so far. I have mine to get updated every 3 or 4 hours, if your clever with scripts you could make it update only when a "event" happens.

Not sure, I never installed either opt or entware.
I think rmerlin included ez-ipupdate in his firmware.

You see in the the script where it says "tun11" or something, I'm not sure if you may need to change that to something else if your not using the vpn. (I could be wrong 50/50 LoL).
give it a try, like I said works great for me so far. I have mine to get updated every 3 or 4 hours, if your clever with scripts you could make it update only when a "event" happens.
I'll definitely have to give it a try. Are you using the included OpenVPN or something else?
I would assume that I can just replace dnsomatic with dyndns as well

But if you do not have to the access the router with the real internet IP to set port forwards - what is the point? Some ISP modems do not have proper 'bridge' or 'half-bridge' so double-nat + dmz is next best thing, your own router doesn't get the true wan IP, but at least you get all incoming requests redirected.

Good point, I am in the same boat except I do have limited access to the isp modem/device and can set up port fwd. I have a idea though, but not sure if it is correct.
Do you think NParker could try UPnP PortMapper to see if his apartment's isp modem has UPnP enabled? I've never used such a program, I'm just guessing he would need something like that if he can not set dmz in his apartment complex's isp modem. Can RParker's Asus router run a program that asks the ISP NAT/router to open ports (providing UPnP is enabled) or could I not understanding something technical or to hard to configure?

edit: You could check out portproxy too if UPnP is enabled on the apartments isp modem, compile it for arm, and use entware or something. Then run a script so when your ip changes it runs again.

Last edited: