What's new

Dead RT-AC86U after one year

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallytr

Have two (2) RT-AC86U's, one as router and one wired AiMesh node.
Node kept losing clients after a couple days, something didn't seem right, AiMesh firmware/settings? Then our Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats kept disconnecting and couldn't reconnect, connected OK using open network only....
I restored the router and changed settings, nothing worked, also Merlin firmware...
Couple days later I had trouble adding Brother Laser printer (Wi-Fi)....got me thinking.
Never had a router fail before...
Now using the AiMesh node as the main router and everything connected perfectly fine, no need to play with channels or Airtime fairness...
I wonder if it has to do with 8 Wi-Fi IP Cams? Total around 30 clients...

Have you tried swapping the power adaptor over to test for failure?

Any router can fail , in the UK/Europe it would be going back for a free replacement.

Have you tried swapping the power adaptor over to test for failure?

Any router can fail , in the UK/Europe it would be going back for a free replacement.

True, only it never ever happened to me :)
Power adapter? I used the same for both working and non-working router.

After 2 months my 86u failed. I had 2.4 off from the beginning, which has a reputation for failing according to some. My 5g started acting up a week ago and I used the SNB forums to troubleshoot only to conclude it really was in trouble. While it lasted it was the best router I have ever had. My first 86u arrived DOA last year, this was the replacement. Before that I had a 56u that was bulletproof for years and years only to get nuked from a severe weather power surge issue. Since it was EOL I needed a replacement. On its way to Asus today, at least they were easy to work with saying it would be replaced not repaired after confirmation. Hearing the serial number they instantly said replacement, don't know what that's about.

Took it back to Best Buy Canada and they exchanged for a new one. That is great service. They said that they have that exchange agreement with Asus and not with other manufacturers.
Wow!
That is great service so I will for sure keep using ASUS routers.

After 2 months my 86u failed. I had 2.4 off from the beginning, which has a reputation for failing according to some. My 5g started acting up a week ago and I used the SNB forums to troubleshoot only to conclude it really was in trouble. While it lasted it was the best router I have ever had. My first 86u arrived DOA last year, this was the replacement. Before that I had a 56u that was bulletproof for years and years only to get nuked from a severe weather power surge issue. Since it was EOL I needed a replacement. On its way to Asus today, at least they were easy to work with saying it would be replaced not repaired after confirmation. Hearing the serial number they instantly said replacement, don't know what that's about.

Sounds like they have identified a batch of bad routers that they have narrowed down to a range of serial numbers. I don't suppose that list of serial numbers is publicly available . . .

I have a new, still in the box 86u that I bought from B&H back in November, I think, when they had their last big price drop. Life events and the holidays got in the way so I haven't been able to install it yet. :(

All these 2.4 threads aren't encouraging.

I've read one other thread so far with a message from someone who has the 2.4 problem who also bought from B&H in the past month or so. Most folks seem to have bought from Amazon.

I don't have the serial number at this point, but replacement shipped yesterday, they are pretty quick. Bought both mine at Newegg, a good Co. Still think it's the best router, at least that seems to be the general consensus.