What's new

Default gateway behind client bridge no internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brady5

New Around Here
I have a unique situation. Probably not the ideal setup but at the moment I'm looking for a workaround.

One network: 192.168.3.0/24
Client Bridge (CB) = Engenius EOC5611P - Client Bridge mode
Access Point (AP) = Engenius EOC5611P - 2.4 b/g mixed - AP Mode

I'll try and lay it out as simple as I can and answer questions if needed.

Router_3.1<=Cat5=>CB_3.106<~wifi~>AP_3.111<~wifi~>Clients (10x)

I have a stand alone AP (192.168.3.111) that 10 clients connect to. This AP is not wired to the network. The Wired network connects to the AP via the CB (192.168.3.106). This connects the two network segments together and local networking between all clients on both sides of the bridge work fine.

This setup was originally done because location of wired network was not optimal location for the AP. therefore AP was setup off-site and CB used to connect.

Previously clients on the AP side only needed access to a web server on the wired local network and life was all good. Now the minions need internet access. Internet access on wired side works fine.

I've set the default gateway on AP_3.111 to Router_3.1 as well as dns. I can ping Router_3.1 from AP_3.111 as well as from all the clients attached to the AP.

Problem is that I cannot ping any IP on the internet from the AP side of the bridge. Nothing on the AP side can access internet. The bridge is able to ping internet.

Seems like internet traffic on the AP is not being routed via the CB to the default gateway.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

How are the clients in 10x getting their IP addresses? What is their default gateway? Is it possible your 10x clients have one network for LAN and a different one for wireless?

Just to clarify, 10x means I have 10 physical client PC's connected to the ap. These all have engenius client bridge units which connect them to the ap. Pc's and their respective CB's are all static IP's. All have default gateway and dns set to Router_3.1

Router_3.1 is the only dhcp server on the network.

network.jpg

I received a reply from mfg's support. They said the units are operating as designed and I will need to update the topology in order to solve the issue. Their recommendation:

topology-jpg.3700

Attachments

• Topology.jpg
    Topology.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,122
sounds reasonable - a bit expensive perhaps, but it should work...