What's new

Default message log level Log only messages more urgent than settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JS_racer

Regular Contributor
say, what are people using here ??
Default message log level
Log only messages more urgent than

my log was full of dhcp, and everything else.

what would be recommended to get enough information, but still be easy to check for issues ??
thanks much for the time

I have always found Syslogs to provide important information but capturing all information provides entries that you know about but aren't important because you know the cause which is not real issue. Then if you try to change the severity of what's posted, you miss important stuff. It's a no win. This is true of most products, not just ASUS. Here is my non-issue which is caused by AppleTV in sleep mode"
Dec 18 09:33:42 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Dec 18 09:33:44 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Dec 18 09:34:04 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Dec 18 09:34:07 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Dec 18 09:39:08 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Dec 18 09:39:11 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Dec 18 09:39:30 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Dec 18 09:39:33 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex​
Then you get entries that are as cryptic as heck.

Probably the best solution is to log everything and send the log to another device for parsing. No I didn't do that.

yep, i had seen that before, was good information.
say, what are your settings ?? thanks (not sure what default was, and is more urgent than information a good compromise?)

upload_2018-12-18_11-26-0.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!