What's new

Desperately need assistance. Slow wired/wireless on Asus RT-N66U with latest Merlin.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mog

New Around Here
Hi,

First off I want to say thank you in advance for any help... I'm at my wits end here.

Here's my situation... Until a month ago, I was running an old DOCSIS 1 Motorola Surfboard and Linksys WRT-54g with DDRT. I finally decided to upgrade my cable modem to a DOCSIS 3 modem and purchased a SB6141. After installing the new modem, I was getting very poor downloads... couldn't stream movies, etc... Spent several nights on the phone with Timewarner's teir 3 support and came to the conclusion that it was the older WRT that was causing the problem with the new DOCSIS 3 modem. Upgraded the firmware to Tomato as was mentioned by some and was still having the same issue.

Okay, so now I'm getting frustrated... figured okay, let's try upgrading to a new router and purchased the ASUS RT-N66U. Installed the new router last week and everything was working great! Until today... Now I'm back in the exact same boat.

Here's the problem:

When my pc is connected directly to the modem, speeds are fine... 18 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up. When I put the router in line with the 2.4 wireless disabled, speeds drop down to 4-6 down, 300 up. With the 2.4 enabled (always have the 5 disabled), the speeds drop down to 2-2.5 down and 160 kbps up.

Here's the connected equipment:

Main PC
HTPC connected via POE
Two wireless security cameras
Roku
Android phone

I've turned off all wireless devices while leaving the 2.4 Ghz radio enabled, same results.
I've disconnected all wired devices; POE included and only left the main pc hard wired, same results.
I've tried most of the suggestions I've been able to find, same results.
I've done a factory reset on the router, same results.

The router worked flawlessly for the past week with the latest Asus firmware. And then today, I came home to the same problems that I began with before the new hardware... and it's driving me nuts
C:\Users\Maximus\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

The majority of the issues I see with this router are wireless issues... but I'm seeing the problem on the wired gigabit ports. I haven't even tested the wireless speeds yet.

I work in IT and consider myself fairly technical, but I don't know what else to do at this point. I'm more than open to any and all suggestions...

I've been up all night (work related), so apologize if I forgot to add some pertinent info... if there's anything else I need to add, please let me know.

I just ran another test and 1.74 down and 120 up... ouch. I have a 6 year old little girl and need my streaming capabilities :)

Help!!! And thank you kindly :)

You're not using the same old cable between the router and the modem? (And you're using the new ethernet cable that came with the new router?)

You've disconnected all phones, and nothing could be causing interference induced into cabling?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!