What's new

Device dropping from the network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dancing Lemur

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-AC3100 running the latest Merlin FW (with another RT-AC3100 acting as a AIMesh node running the latest stock FW) At some point, I started seeing a device (I notice it on my laptop but I think it's happened on others), slowly start to stop being able to access the network. At first, web browsing stops being access pages. Then other services slowly stop. Windows 10 will show the computer connected to the Wi-Fi but with No service. And sometimes the Wi-Fi will completely drop. Other devices can still access the router and the Internet fine. The only solution to get my laptop working again is to reboot the router.

Looking at logs, I see messages along the lines of:
Sep 17 20:18:16 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(466): eth2: Deauth_ind <MAC ID>, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Sep 17 20:18:56 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): eth2: Auth <MAC ID>, status: Successful (0)
Sep 17 20:18:56 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(529): eth2: Assoc <MAC ID>, status: Successful (0)

It seems like this is a known problem inherent in the ASUS base FW? I followed some suggestions: Disabling Airtime Fairness, Multi-User MIMO, and Universal Beamforming, for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. But the problem still persisted. There were other suggestions to downgrade to the .13 firmware but when I tried that, I got a message:

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

In any case, .13 seemed quite old (~1 year?). Are there any other suggestions? Is there a link to where the underlying problem is fully explained? From my understanding, it appears to be an ASUS FW issue that is unresolved? What was the equivalent ASUS FW in which this first arose? It's quite painful to deal with.

I'm not an expert here, so apologies if I misstated or stated obvious things.

Either run both routers on RMerlin or stock firmware, but don't mix them.

After you have flashed the one you want to be the same as the other, be sure to do a full reset to factory defaults on it.

I can't see the benefit of flashing old firmware when there are many examples of current firmware running without issues for so many others. Take the time to properly configure your network and routers on the latest firmware available for the best experience.

The following may help too.

Thanks. I'll try that. For some reason when I first switched over to AIMesh on Merlin, I thought I saw a recommendation to keep stock FW on the nodes. But it was a while ago and I could be mistaken. I'll definitely switch the node to Merlin -- running Diversion is a key requirement for me.

I'll try some of the other things later, too -- it might be a little while. But I did notice that the CPUs were running high on the router when things got bad.

I'm having this same issue since the last update, but only on 2.4ghz networks. Everything else works fine. If I manually assign DNS servers it starts working again on windows but not Android. I have not put to many cycles into diagnostics cause I'm living shortly and was planning a complete wipe rebuild of the system then. Rt-ac68u with another in mesh...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!