What's new

DHCP: 2 public DNS addresses + append router IP, no local hostnames resolution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fluffyguitar

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have set the router up so that it uses two public DNS servers. I also checked the box to append the router's IP as a third DNS on DHCP.

The issue is that the router's IP comes third, i.e. DNS1: 208.67.220.220, DNS2: 208.67.222.222, DNS3: 192.168.1.1 and when I want to resolve local hostnames (that aren't pinned in the DHCP table), they don't resolve unless I put the router's IP first. If I do that however, I lose the slot from DNS1.

Is there a way to keep DNS1 and DNS2 as they are, but have the DNS mechanism fallback to 192.168.1.1 if it can't find the hostnames there? Trying to resolve hostname.lan instead of hostname doesn't make any difference.

Asus WRT Merlin 380.62.1 on Asus RT-AC66U.

Last edited:
Set your DNS on the WAN page instead of the DHCP page. That way, lookups will always go through the router, and outside domain resolution will get forwarded to the remote servers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!