What's new

DHCP Problems due to Switch + Router w/Cable Modem WNDR3700 - Router for Remote and Wireless R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heartspeace

New Around Here
I figure I would appeal to the experts and gurus here who really know there stuff and can truly educate me and not just throw a couple words at me and then dismiss me. ;)

I am asking about router cascading. Any help on adding to my understanding of my DHCP Problems due to a Switch not passing the packets (not manageable - basic TPLINK model) + WNDR37000 Router linked to SB6141 Cable Modem- R7000 Router for Remote and Wireless: in detail, would be most appreciated.

I did it successfully except I have the SB6141 router that can only have one cable (located for wireless) - and it must? be cascaded via wan-lan - because the firmware wont seem to work properly otherwise. The cascade worked except there is no way to get the devices to use the WAN SB6141 routers DHCP server - except I might have found a way but I don't know its implications - security or hardware malpractice leading to failure or some bad result in any form. I need you to shed some light on the issue.

What I did since the switch would not pass the packets through the WAN ports was:
1. Turn off DHCP on LAN WNDR37000 Router.
2. Plug a Cable from the Wan SB6141 (Lan port) into Lan WNDR37000 (Lan Port) making it a Ethernet cascade (Whats the tradeoff here?)
3. Take a very short cable and on the WAN SB6141 Router put in between the WAN port and an unused LAN port. (What is the security/software/hardware risk implications?) - It did resolve the issue of allowing the devices to resolve to the correct DHCP server.

Am I screwing with my hardware and frying it? Am I screwing with security? Am I doing thing redundantly and needlessly?

Thank you to those truly willing to help in advance.
HP

If you're going to use the SB6141 as your router/gateway, just turn off all router functions on the WNDR3700 (e.g. DHCP, firewall, etc.) and use it as an AP. Plug the switch into the SB6141 and then plug the WNDR3700 and any other wired devices into the switch. Make sure to use a LAN port on the WNDR3700 instead of the WAN port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!