What's new

Dir-850l vs Dir-868l for small office

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roberto AF

New Around Here
Hi there,

So wich one is better for a small law office, 4~6 computers manipulating .docs, .pdfs wireless from a NAS server (QNAP - TS251) and doing research on the internet.

Is it worth paying double the price for the 868l model???

Thanks for the attention guys... and sorry for my poor english (im not from USA).

Neither since they're both d-link. Instead get something else. If you are using a dedicated NAS than make sure the NAS is connected via gigabit ethernet at least. The clients can be wireless but it is always better and faster to wire clients instead of using wifi. Wifi is only when you cannot use wire and for a convenience. If you want a router for wifi you should go with the latest wifi offerings for a recent chip. It would help if you tell us more of what you need from a wifi router. How many wifi clients do you want to be able to support, are you using the router for internet? The more details you provide the easier it is to help you with.

I agree. Run and run fast from D-Link.

An RT-AC56U or an RT-AC68U would handle your workload easily.

And the RT-aC56U can be had for as low as $55 depending where and when you shop for it.

RMerlin firmware or the john9527 or hggomes forks are also recommended with either router above.

First of all, thanks a lot for the fast answer.

"L&LD", here in Brazil is too dificult to find Asus routers. Most of the stores sells Dlink, TPlink, Linsys... Any recomendation from these brands?

"System error", it would be something like shown on the picture: about 6 pc´s using internet from the router (wireless) and acessing the nas server (wireless) to read and write files (basic office work - word and excel documents).

Attachments

• Sem título.jpg
    Sem título.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 342
First of all, thanks a lot for the fast answer.

"L&LD", here in Brazil is too dificult to find Asus routers. Most of the stores sells Dlink, TPlink, Linsys... Any recomendation from these brands?

"System error", it would be something like shown on the picture: about 6 pc´s using internet from the router (wireless) and acessing the nas server (wireless) to read and write files (basic office work - word and excel documents).

Sorry, I cannot recommend any of those brands personally.

While your network load won't be heavy, it may be an issue with lessor WiFi routers because everything will be accessed wirelessly.

Is there no one you know who can ship you an RT-AC56U or an RT-AC68U instead of what you have available locally?

Sorry, I cannot recommend any of those brands personally.

While your network load won't be heavy, it may be an issue with lessor WiFi routers because everything will be accessed wirelessly.

Is there no one you know who can ship you an RT-AC56U or an RT-AC68U instead of what you have available locally?

I can buy here in Brazil through some sellers but without warranty.

I forgot to say that de pc´s use "n" (they dont have "ac" tecnology). That sayd, AC 68U would still be a good choice?

both TP-link and linksys have good offerings. Im not up to date with the latest offerings but go for a dual core ARM based router if you can. Linksys has the wrt1900AC. They may have something newer though. You cannot expect fast speeds from NAS over wifi because of the practical bandwidth. I have before transferred files over wifi and it was very very slow compared to wire. A printer can be on wifi because it doesnt need much bandwidth. If you really have to use wifi than look for something like the asus AC3200 or AC5300. When going for linksys/tp-link, look at their later version. TP-link does sell something similar to the wrt1900AC with a dual core CPU and the same wifi chips. I suggest going for linksys for better throughput.

If you really have to use wifi than look for something like the asus AC3200 or AC5300. When going for linksys/tp-link, look at their later version. TP-link does sell something similar to the wrt1900AC with a dual core CPU and the same wifi chips. I suggest going for linksys for better throughput.

4 or 6 clients for docs and pdf files is more than overkill. An RT-AC56U is more than enough and six to eight times cheaper.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!