What's new

dir890L vs rt-ac3200 vs rt-ac87u vs rt-ac68p

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eusriso

Occasional Visitor
So I had decided to upgrade my RT-N56u router. Being an Asus user and familiar with there firmware/interface I had sold myself on upgrading to the RT-AC3200.

After seeing all of the negative comments about the RT-AC3200 I had second thoughts - what good is a router that keeps dropping a Wifi connection? Also it seems assumed that the RT-AC3200 problems are firmware based - how do I know it is not a physical problem?

Next I sold myself on the DIR-890L until I found out it didn't have detachable antennas (Why Dlink would you build a $300 router without detachable antennas)?

Also the D-Link didn't have all the features of the Asus RT-AC3200 firmware.

So now I was down to the RT-AC87U - but I cannot tell if the Wifi dropping problems are fixed on this router - does anyone know?

Then I am looking at the RT-AC68P - but it doesn't have the AI Protection and the wifi range was less than the RT-AC68u.

What do the users recommend - I am really interested in hearing from DIR-890L users and RT-AC87u users.

Last edited:
So the problem was NOT the ROUTER (RT-3200), but 2 of the computers I was using for testing had problems , one a cable , the other was a finicky wireless card . Still not using smart connect , but no drops so far using latest Merlin 3 headed monster . Strange how 2 computers had similar problems at the same time .
So far router is working really well . No disconnects , but not using smart connect , signal reaches spots no other router has reached , much stronger signal , inssider rssi reading of 40 where I got 56 before on 2.4 , 48 where I was getting 66 on 5 ghz radio . Setting up with 3 ssid and assigning the clients manually is working well , the AC clients are blazing fast on radio 5.2 , phones and pads on 5.1 and the other mixed n clients on 2.4 , nobody complaining , all getting much better rates than before on the N-66 and AC-66 .

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!