What's new

Directing OpenVPN Server Clients to static addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matt87

Occasional Visitor
Little bit of a noob here, so bear with me and please forgive my poor use of terminology. Setting me straight is appreciated!

Where I'm at so far:

Currently have 4 server clients setup for connecting to server 1; client1-4

Previously, I was using a TAP connection and a static mac addresses, via the TAP-adapter settings on my windows laptops, so when I connected to the router the device would be assigned a static IP address 192.168.1.xxx (How much of a security risk was this, btw?). This allowed my sync software with my NAS to work. I'm now using TUN, and it's not working because they're all on 10.x.x.x subnet. I can RDP into another windows machine on my LAN as well as access my router login, but am unable to access my NAS.

Thought network sharing settings might be the culprit, so I tried turning everything to be on with no success. (Would prefer to keep all guest/public sharing options off, though).

I have followed @Martineau's suggestion here, with regard to setting up firewall-start to allow pass-thru of the VPN server clients to the client VPN. Surfing remotely is now covered by my client VPN policy rules.

My question:

Is there anything else I need to add to firewall-start in order to allow communication between my LAN devices, and clients on server1 subnet 10.x.x.x? Maybe something in openvpn-event?

Is there something I need to do under:
Firewall -> General -> Inbound Firewall Rules, -or-
VPN -> VPN Server -> Advanced Settings -> Manage Client-Specific Operations, -or-
VPN -> VPN Server -> Advanced Settings -> Custom Configuration?

Are there any Window's network sharing options that need special configuring to sync seamlessly while on a public WIFI? If so, what and how?

No clue where to go from here. Your help in directing me to the proper thread would be phenomenal!

Thanks!

Last edited: