What's new

Direction on new NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stang_Head

New Around Here
Hello all,

I've been a long term Pogoplug user but I'm looking to do something new. I need some help in moving to a new setup. Here are my requirements:

1. I need a straight forward way for the NAS to seamlessly backup a Win8 desktop and a MacBook.
2. I'm terribly afraid of having a domestic disaster at my home and I lose all of my data so I would like something that would replicate to another location with encryption. For instance, my brother and I buy the exact same device and we could be encrypted offsite storage for each other.
3. I would like for it to do some server like capabilities such as DLNA and stuff.
4. I'm not rich so i would like to keep the costs down as low as possible.
5. I probably have close to 1TB of data i need to maintain right now.
6. I don't necessarily have to have a cloud presence like Pogoplug has now but it would be a nice addition if something would fit the bill.

Any help with a device that would do the above would be tremendously beneficial. What device would do some or most of these?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I've been a long term Pogoplug user but I'm looking to do something new. I need some help in moving to a new setup. Here are my requirements:

1. I need a straight forward way for the NAS to seamlessly backup a Win8 desktop and a MacBook.
2. I'm terribly afraid of having a domestic disaster at my home and I lose all of my data so I would like something that would replicate to another location with encryption. For instance, my brother and I buy the exact same device and we could be encrypted offsite storage for each other.
3. I would like for it to do some server like capabilities such as DLNA and stuff.
4. I'm not rich so i would like to keep the costs down as low as possible.
5. I probably have close to 1TB of data i need to maintain right now.
6. I don't necessarily have to have a cloud presence like Pogoplug has now but it would be a nice addition if something would fit the bill.

Any help with a device that would do the above would be tremendously beneficial. What device would do some or most of these?

Thanks!
consider a 2 bay NAS, use your own disk. Online demos at synology.com and qnap.com. these are the ones widely recommended here.

I like to tinker so NAS4Free is my choice. You can set it up on almost anything.

ZFS & ECC memory is recommended but you can take an old PC and try it out first.

For the off-site backup you can use syncthing which is builtin to the system

I like to tinker so NAS4Free is my choice. You can set it up on almost anything.

ZFS & ECC memory is recommended but you can take an old PC and try it out first.

For the off-site backup you can use syncthing which is builtin to the system

Most people considering a NAS probably don't want to tinker about with things... much like most folks that want a Router/AP don't mess with OpenWRT/DD-WRT...

Nor does a DIY NAS get you the features and utilities in a commercial small NAS.
I tried DIY NAS and saw that I was headed for owning a Yugo-NAS with poor gas mileage.

Not to mention that with both Synology and QNAP; you can tinker to your hearts content too.

Not to mention that with both Synology and QNAP; you can tinker to your hearts content too.

Tinkering about inside the gubbins of a NAS box is a recipe for disaster...

Synology/QNAP/Asustor do offer VM capabilities, and there, tinker away inside the VM...

I need a straight forward way for the NAS to seamlessly backup a Win8 desktop and a MacBook

And once there - you'll need a plan to back up that NAS box as well, no matter which vendor you land on - even if it's a DYI solution...