What's new

DIY Unblock US

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kvic

Part of the Furniture
I had.. for a long while..the idea of using my Asus router to build a Unblock US like service for personal use. My justification is that commercial services like Unblock US offer attractive deals. But I don’t need all locations/media services supported by them. Also lots of people have broadband at home but idle. I thought DIY on home routers would be interesting.

Digress a bit. Seems home router manufactuers haven’t added such features to their products (maybe someone already did)? Asus offers a few free cloud services such as Cloud Disk, Smart Access, Smart Sync which some users may find useful. But useless to me and many others. IMHO, an Asus “Unblock US” like service will be way more attractive and better value than their existing services on the cloud. For this new service, they could build their own or partner with a “Unblock US” like company. I would even think they can charge a competitive fee with a flexible price structure. Asus, will you listen?

Back to D.I.Y. People could find some working partners far apart and use home routers for mutual access. But then security/privacy concern and skill disparity will unlikely attract people and bring values to the general public even if an easy todo procedures/software are developed. So take one step back. It might be way easier to rent a virtual server in a country of interest. Run a copy of linux and do the rest yourself.

Have people done that? Any interesting stories to share? Btw, anyone can recommend a cheap but good cheap VPS in UK?

Happy to report back it works like a charm. Cost me 3euro extra per year in addition to content subscription. :cool:

Implemented a do-it-yourself Unblock-Us like service running on a dirt cheap UK server..
User experience is no different from a commercial service of the like.

Can you tell me who the hosting company is? I don't know whether that's against forum rules (might be classed as advertising)? You could PM me.

I'm just curious about how much that sort of thing would cost.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!