What's new

DMZ host for Xbox One because of NAT problems.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IngoVals

Occasional Visitor
So I've tried a lot of things for my brothers Xbox One but we always get strict Nat while playing Call of Duty Black Ops III.

Port forwarding to the consoles static Ip address just doesn't help for some reason.

One thing I tried was a option in his ISP's supplied Technicolor TG789vac to transfer the public Ip address to his console. This is of course not secure and other devices connected to the router had no internet connection (is this action the same as DMZ host or more like Bridging so only the Modem is used). The IPTV still worked one the original but that is some bridged connection I believe.

Someone suggested using another Router as a DMZ host for the Xbox One, could someone explain how that works. I'm not sure if the Technicolor TG789vac router supports DMZ host, is it perhaps the same action as to transfer the public IP address.

If I have a second router as a DMZ host can the original router still function for its WiFi and Internet connection just without Nat traversal or something like that?

Does the Firewall on the DMZ host still protect the Xbox One?

I haven't played with XBox and NAT in a while, but a few years ago, our son was big into it....and originally when I was dating his mom they had a Netgear router at their house. I did some research on the strict NAT issues and XBox live.....and came up with the following. (I had to go find a post I made over at Speedguide.Net forums many years ago).

*Some routers are "XBox Friendly"...others are not.
*XBox preferred (at that time...dunno if it still does) an MTU of 1384. Try setting the MTU manually on the router. Yeah other clients of the router may stuffer, but just try it as a test.
*Some routers have better UPnP than others....is it enabled? If not..enable it.
*Port forwarding...I don't like doing DMZ...basically you hang the entire client out in the open, no longer protected by NAT, exposing all 65,000 plus ports. Too much exposure...open to being hacked. XBox Live used to just need the following ports forwarded to it:
• UDP 88
• UDP 3074
• TCP 3074

DMZ is basically without firewall...

Consider that you might be NAT'ed upstream... check your IP address, and if it starts with a 10.*.*.* or a 172.16.*.* thru 172.31.*.*, or (unlikely) 192.168.*.*

You might also be CGN'ed (Carrier Grade NAT) within the 100.64.0.0/10 block..

Starting to see more of this with the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses (the carriers know the value of public IP's, so I've seen them converting over to CGN to resell the public blocks for big bucks)