What's new

DNS on LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kirb112

Occasional Visitor
Please forgive me if this is a noob question. I purchased a domain and I use it for accessing my local network. ie: nas.mydomain.com, router.mydomain.com, plex.mydomain.com.

I have forwarded the corresponding ports in my account's domain settings so that I can remote access services this way. If there is a better way to do this, by all means, please inform me of what I should do. However, my question revolves around comfiguring the devices on my LAN to work with these domains as well.

For example, I have tow foscams that I use as baby monitors. I specify the ip address: mydomain.com, and then forward the appropriate ports to each Foscam device. However, in the event that my internet connection goes down,for obvious reasons, I am unable to connect to the camera, wvwn when I am on my LAN. This is because I have specified the internet domain name instead of the LAN IP addresses for each camera.

Is there a way that I can configure my domain on my local network, so that even if I lose my internet connection, I am still able to access the cameras?

You have to use ip for local usage. The purpose of dns to reach from outside

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Is there a way that I can configure my domain on my local network, so that even if I lose my internet connection, I am still able to access the cameras?

Not in a simple way.

To be honest, configuring internal resources in a public (Internet) zone is usually a bad idea, in part because of what you mention. It's best for any LAN resources to use a separate, non public zone, and configure it on an internal DNS.

If you still want to go ahead with this, you will have to configure a slave server within your LAN, and have it request zone transfers from your primary nameserver (and configure that nameserver to allow AXFR requests from that privately run nameserver). Then, either use that DNS as your recursive resolver for your whole LAN, or (NOT RECOMMENDED!) configure that internal server as an authoritative nameserver for that zone.

But quite frankly, it's a bad idea. Keep LAN and Internet zones separate.

I have a customer which is a fairly large organization (to be more specific, it's a customer of my own customer, but I'm the one handling part of their web services as well as most of their 20+ DNS zones). A long time ago, someone had the silly idea of using their primary Internet domain as their LAN (probably Windows) domain. That means they have to manually copy the public zone content inside their internal nameserver and update it every time I make a change to their public zone. More than once this led to support requests as things didn't work as expected due to this manual sync procedure (like when we recently moved their primary website to a new IP, and nobody thought about warning their internal IT department about this change).

Not in a simple way.

To be honest, configuring internal resources in a public (Internet) zone is usually a bad idea, in part because of what you mention. It's best for any LAN resources to use a separate, non public zone, and configure it on an internal DNS.

Not within the gui - that's an issue, not just with Asus, but many vendors...

DNSMasq can support local zone resolution, but then one starts getting into situations where one is not supported, so if things break, you get to keep all the pieces...

One option outside of DNSMasq local zones is to work with a DDNS provider, some do offer local resolution within your own domain - not all do, esp. the "free"/zero cost ones...

An alternate approach, and one that might work for you is using mDNS (e.g. Rendevous/BonJour/Avahi) if you just need resolution inside the LAN using the .local TLD, which works in many cases...

So all you want to do is be able to access your cameras via your domain name even when you've lost Internet access? That's easy, just add some entries to each system's host file. Then those systems will check the hosts file first and then your specified dns server out on the internet.