What's new

DNS queries of local IP addresses?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

highwire

Regular Contributor
Is it normal for local private IP addresses and names to be sent out to the public DNS server?

e.g.,

For example, I have a local IP address 10.0.1.13, and I see DNS queries for 13.1.0.10-in.addr-arpa, which is then answered by the server as "Refused". This is happening to many of my local IP addresses. I also have a local NAS called Zoidberg, and I'm seeing DNS queries for ZOIDBERG - A and AAAA records which result in "No Such Name" responses.

This can't be right.

ASUS RT-AC87U with 378.51_newqtn.

Are you forcing clients to use the router dns forwarder, or using one of the parental control ones?

The router shouldn't do this since by default the /etc/dnsmasq.conf has the setting

bogus-priv

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

[edit] This setting should be controlled by the web gui LAN-dhcp setting "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" checkbox

Last edited:
DNS entries can be controlled by running your own DNS server. Then all the local stuff will stay local. Your local DNS server will be set to forward DNS requests for nonlocal DNS entries.

We need more details about your configuration.
Dnsmasq is either configured to not add your DHCP hostnames to the DNS cache or it is forwarding all DNS queries to your primary DNS servers.

Hopefully it is not forwarding requests for local domains... :-\

Can you run tcpdump (Entware) and confirm that your router is actually leaking local domain queries to the WAN?

Are you forcing clients to use the router dns forwarder, or using one of the parental control ones?

The router shouldn't do this since by default the /etc/dnsmasq.conf has the setting

bogus-priv

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

I have DNS filtering turned on, and the default behavior is "Custom 1" to Unblock-us. I do have "forward local domain name queries to upstream DNS" disabled. Perhaps when DNS filtering is set up like this, it forwards all queries, including local.

We need more details about your configuration.
Dnsmasq is either configured to not add your DHCP hostnames to the DNS cache or it is forwarding all DNS queries to your primary DNS servers.

Hopefully it is not forwarding requests for local domains... :-\

Can you run tcpdump (Entware) and confirm that your router is actually leaking local domain queries to the WAN?

Tcpdump is how I found the local lookups being leaked out the WAN. :)

I changed DNS filtering to "No filter" as the default and set up two devices to "Custom 1" to use Unblock-us. Now only the IP addresses of those two devices are leaking to the WAN. I think DNS filtering is the culprit. It would be nice if someone was able to confirm the behavior.