What's new

Dns Query increase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

so i been seeing this for while on my router

Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

I was told to look at heck the dnsmasq documentation, and provide an appropriate dnsmasq.add or dnsmasq.postconf to adjust it. so went to look at https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-config-files
and google and finding this
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac66u-on-45-maximum-number-of-dns-queries-reached-150.19304/

Didnt really make much seen to me but from all this and the if knew about creating reboot cron job i came up with this

cat << EOF >/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
#!/bin/sh
-dns-forward-max=200
EOF

so instead of 150 i would have 200?, did all that checked the scripts they was there I rebooted the router and the router no long was accessing the web, it was connect to the internet according the router but no web page came up, So i factory defaulted and resorted my nvrams backups.

Last edited:
conf.add files aren't scripts.....don't include the shebang. Also, the options in dnsmasq.conf don't include the leading dash(s)....just use one line in the file

dns-forward-max=200

The bad line probably prevented dnsmasq from starting so you had no DNS capability.

You can make sure it was added correctly by doing

cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf

after you reboot.

so i just type dns-foward-max-200

once iloged in to putty?

or

dns-forward-max=200
EOF

Last edited:
Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

Just seen this for the first time today. Only my son's laptop was in use at the time, everybody else was out.
How could this happen on a quiet network?

dont know when i look at the logs most them where happen at 8am, when most people are not home and not much should be using the network.

I know it doesnt come from my pc cause my pc isnt on till around 1pm, other pc that is wired is usual not even used, which leave wireless things, which are 8 device all which should be idle at time of day.

This has always been in logs for as long as i can remeber though

I've read about this occasionally in other threads and nobody has ever figured it out to my knowledge. One possible theory may be that some of the later virus protection suites contain network scanners that go out and try to find 'commonly named resources' then try to exploit them. I thnk Avast for example may do this (including trying multiple logons if it gets a response to the dns queries).

I've read about this occasionally in other threads and nobody has ever figured it out to my knowledge. One possible theory may be that some of the later virus protection suites contain network scanners that go out and try to find 'commonly named resources' then try to exploit them. I thnk Avast for example may do this (including trying multiple logons if it gets a response to the dns queries).

I have avast and i have that network security scan thing installed too, But i never run it almost all my pc and laptops use avast though. and i have only ran those network security scans from my own pc, unless we talking about something with the actual program and it own connections that keep it updated. but only 2 maybe 3 device with avast on it are actually connected at same time .

I want to say this
dns-forward-max=200
EOF

Fix my ping in swtor from being 40- 60 like been lately usual its 20ms, but it probably has nothing to do with this, cause swtor server does random give me my normal ping from time to time, if actual did fix all the better, but it probably just coincidence

Last edited:
I did the change but does not appear in /etc/dnsmasq.conf after reboot.
Have I made a mistake somewhere? Do I need to do CHMOD on the new file?

Code:
xxxxxx@RT-AC3200:/tmp/home/root# cat /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
dns-forward-max=250
xxxxxx@RT-AC3200:/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
pid-file=/var/run/dnsmasq.pid
user=nobody
bind-dynamic
interface=br0
interface=ppp1*
no-dhcp-interface=ppp1*
resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.conf
servers-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
no-poll
no-negcache
cache-size=1500
min-port=4096
dhcp-range=lan,192.168.1.2,192.168.1.254,255.255.255.0,86400s
dhcp-option=lan,3,192.168.1.1
dhcp-option=lan,252,"\n"
dhcp-authoritative
read-ethers
xxxxxx@RT-AC3200:/tmp/home/root#

I did the change but does not appear in /etc/dnsmasq.conf after reboot.
Have I made a mistake somewhere? Do I need to do CHMOD on the new file?
That all looks right except the result. You don't need to chmod conf.add files. Not sure...

If your dns configuration never changes, you could also just copy the entire fire over to /jffs/configs, thus replacing the entire dnsmasq.conf file that the router uses.

Well i'm a moron. I'm using ASUS f/w. I think this only applies to Merlin f/w DOH!

I have avast and i have that network security scan thing installed too, But i never run it almost all my pc and laptops use avast though. and i have only ran those network security scans from my own pc, unless we talking about something with the actual program and it own connections that keep it updated. but only 2 maybe 3 device with avast on it are actually connected at same time .

I want to say this
dns-forward-max=200
EOF

Fix my ping in swtor from being 40- 60 like been lately usual its 20ms, but it probably has nothing to do with this, cause swtor server does random give me my normal ping from time to time, if actual did fix all the better, but it probably just coincidence

Update on my end, I since i did this I moved to win10 but dont think that really matters
Code:
dns-forward-max=200
EOF

That did work for it did increase the max query size, but I then started too see
Code:
Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 200)

so seeing as i think i always seen this I just leave it as default it definitely didnt help my ping any in swtor either, so no point really and changing it i guess. I just know when I do see it it happen earlier morning we talking 7am, when most computers are OFF or standby.

Ok I suppose the next logical question is : can 'dns-forward-max' be amended on ASUS f/w such that it will survive a reboot?