What's new

DNS server cache

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Havs

New Around Here
Hello guys, after a couple of long hours, I've comed to the conclusion that the DNS server cache of my router is corrupt, and am looking for a way to flush it (see more details in the following paragraph).

For the last two months, I've been unable to accesss a particular website (flyingblue.com) from within my network. I am redirected to Notron Connectsafe warning page about it being a harmful site. This happens with all the devices (linux, windows, ios, os x) trying to access the site from my network, but as soon as I connect them elsewhere the warning stops, and I can reach the site again. The website's true address is 213.206.117.77, but whenever I query this address from a CLI, I get 156.something.something.something, this happens even when I instruct the nslookup from a particular server (nslookup flyingblue.com 4.2.2.2). Whenever I connect a device directly to my uplink the problem stops. I SSHed into the router and did a nslookup, and lo and behold the router did answer with the real IP addresses when querried from it's internal CLI.

I have to confess, I am stomped as to why would the router be intercepting and suplanting DNS querries routed to external DNS servers. I can't fathom this is by design, but don't see other explanation unless my device has been compromised.

Some time ago (two months) I did use Notron's Connectsafe DNSes, but now I am back to Google's and Level 3's servers.

Device in question: Asus RT AC66U, running Merlin 380.68 (yes, I am a lazy patcher). Current upstream DNS configuration 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2.

So there it is. Any advise?

This doesn't sound like it's anything to do with the DNS cache being "corrupt". Simply rebooting the router will destroy the current cache (it isn't persistent).

Do you have anything setup on the router under AiProtection > DNS Filtering?

It might help us understand what is happening if we knew what the precise IP address is for 156.something.something.something