What's new

Dnscrypt from opendns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been trying to get simultaneous IPv4/IPv6 working, and I see in the logs that the default IPv6 DNS servers are still use, in addition to the DNSCrypt. Any idea how to fix this?

Code:
Apr 12 21:36:30 dnsmasq[891]: using nameserver 2620:0:ccd::2#53
Apr 12 21:36:30 dnsmasq[891]: using nameserver 2620:0:ccc::2#53
Apr 12 21:36:30 dnsmasq[891]: using nameserver ::1#65054
Apr 12 21:36:30 dnsmasq[891]: using nameserver 127.0.0.1#65053

Right so I've found out that the option no-resolve in the /etc/dnsmasq.conf causes it to ignore the only the resolv.conf, where the default IPv4 DNS servers are specified.

However, my IPv6 DNS servers are for some reason in the resolv.dnsmasq file, hence not ignored, hence added to the list.

According to /etc/dnsmasq.conf these are:

resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.conf <- IPv4 DNS Servers
servers-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq <- IPv6 DNS Servers

However I assume that these /tmp are auto generated, and removing them there has no effect.

So, where to from here....?

Last edited:
Hi,

I just bought last week a RT-AC87U, and manage yesterday to install dnscrypt using the explantions here .
I'm a total noob regarding command line and such, when I installed it, it asked to choose a code referring to dns/country, but not knowing what to do I didn't make any choice, is it a mistake ?
How to change it if I have to ?

Thanks for your help !

how to uninstall dnscrypt-proxy? i know how to install but don`t know how to uninstall?

If this is install:
opkg install dnscrypt-proxy

Then my guess is that this will uninstall
opkg remove dnscrypt-proxy

Type opkg --help and you will probably get all commands.

Hi All.
I am now super confused having gone through all 21 pages.
While the Wiki has a method of installing entware, which is just as confusing. At this moment in time, im not sure whether I would like to have a USB plugged in since, i use the slots for other storage devices.

I've been trying to find or understand how to use the existing JFFS partition to install the compiled files from lancethepants.com and run wan-start scripts to get this working.

I've gone over the thread 3 times trying to get more clarity and find something on the wiki but haven't managed to find a simple walkthrough to get this working within entware.

I have had no experience with installing scripts and just managed to install asuswrt merlin on my AC5300 router.
If anyone can shed some light on some steps, it would be appreciated.

Since this thread has also come a long way since 2014. From what I see from the lancethepants.com files, there are multiple dns fallback options now? with dnscrypt-resolves.csv?

Thanks in advance!

There were a few references where entware wasn't required and could be installed internally? Or I completely misunderstood?
Both my USB ports are currently being used on the AC5300, which I guess i could remove but what happens if the USB stick stop working? or is pulled out while the router is on?

There were a few references where entware wasn't required and could be installed internally? Or I completely misunderstood?
Both my USB ports are currently being used on the AC5300, which I guess i could remove but what happens if the USB stick stop working? or is pulled out while the router is on?
if you like to install dnscrypt-proxy you have to use USB stick.....so if you pull USB stick with configured dnscrypt-proxy from router then you will lost internet connection.....

It's just a small set of files. I have put those on the JFFS file system and (thus) don't need a USB stick to run them.
do you have some tutorial how to run dnscrypt from jffs? i will test how it works without USB stick....jffs have 62 mb memory so then we can run all popular scripts like ab-solution, entware, pixelserv and more?

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

do you have some tutorial how to run dnscrypt from jffs?
No, I don't - sorry.

I used the posts in this topic to figure out what to do and was lucky that Lance had already compiled standalone files (though I have once built them myself as well). Initially I downloaded them on a PC and transferred them via a USB stick, but I believe wget is already available if you telnet to the router, so you download them directly from Lance's site.

No, I don't - sorry.

I used the posts in this topic to figure out what to do and was lucky that Lance had already compiled standalone files (though I have once built them myself as well). Initially I downloaded them on a PC and transferred them via a USB stick, but I believe wget is already available if you telnet to the router, so you download them directly from Lance's site.
I have the files from lances (compiled) *thx Lance
Is there a particular method to transferring to the JFFS partition? or a particular folder to be stored?
I notice a few pages back there are the start and stop scripts so that seems pretty straight forward.

thanks for link....so i just put dnscrypt folder to jffs and set resolver?

thanks for link....so i just put dnscrypt folder to jffs and set resolver?
If you plan to start them manually each time you reboot your router that might be sufficient.

I would rather update some scripts to start dns-proxy automatically. Please read earlier posts in this thread to find out how.

If you plan to start them manually each time you reboot your router that might be sufficient.

I would rather update some scripts to start dns-proxy automatically. Please read earlier posts in this thread to find out how.
yes, i just read now....not working at reboot....this is not usable for most people....

yes, i just read now....not working at reboot....this is not usable for most people....
Not starting because of the time issue? Try using IP address for the NTP server instead of a url. Sorry I didn't read this whole thread, just assuming.

Not starting because of the time issue? Try using IP address for the NTP server instead of a url. Sorry I didn't read this whole thread, just assuming.
i did not try yet because i read here that no one get working when router reboot....just manual start help to work again.....i used dnscrypt-proxy over entware but at the moment i have to test why i got pppd connection terminate every day....so i am not using USB stick now.....

I just followed the entware guide and how do i check it is actually working properly?
Bypassing my ISPs transparency proxy.

1) opendns.com/welcome shows i am connected to opendns dns servers.
2) dnsleaktest.com shows the opendns server results
3) dnsleak.com shows the opendns server results but displays "Looks like your DNS might be leaking..."

Couple more questions if anyone can shed some light.
1) How do I change servers? Should I reinstall dnscrypt each time and use the server selection option each time?
2) How does OpenDNS (default) compare with the others like dnscrypt.eu-dk which has been mentioned here a few times? (Additional benefits?)
3) I located teh JFFS partition through WinSCP and there is a services-start. Is this an auto start on reboot script?
Code:
#!/bin/sh

RC='/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung'

i=30
until [ -x "$RC" ] ; do
  i=$(($i-1))
  if [ "$i" -lt 1 ] ; then
    logger "Could not start Entware"
    exit
  fi
  sleep 1
done
$RC start
/opt/etc/init.d/S09dnscrypt-proxy start

Code:
From wiki
services-start
After all other system services have been started at boot. This is the best place to stop one of these services, and restart it with a different configuration, for example (be aware that any time the service gets manually restarted it will revert back to the original setup however).

Last edited: