What's new

DNScrypt Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elmer

Using the latest Merlin beta firmware on an AC68 and trying to install DNScyrpt. Used the instructions here:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Secure-DNS-queries-using-DNSCrypt

Went through each step. Everything seemed fine. I stopped the proxy (said stopped) tried the ping against bing.com, nothing. Started the proxy (said running), tried the ping again, nothing. Here are the logs showing this event:

dnscrypt-proxy[1036]: Stopping proxy
dnscrypt-proxy[1036]: UDP listener shut down
dnscrypt-proxy[1036]: TCP listener shut down
admin: Started from .
dnscrypt-proxy[2788]: Starting dnscrypt-proxy 1.9.5
Generating a new session key pair
dnscrypt-proxy[2788]: Done
dnscrypt-proxy[2788]: Server certificate with serial #1498586461 received
dnscrypt-proxy[2788]: This certificate is valid
dnscrypt-proxy[2788]: Chosen certificate #1498586461 is valid from [2017-06-27] to [2017-06-28]
dnscrypt-proxy[2788]: Server key fingerprint is 0BC9... big long number
Proxying from 127.0.0.1:65053 to 185.133.72.116:443

When I check my DNS it is using some servers in New Jersey (should be in EU). I still have WAN DNS boxes filled in with google dns; LAN DHCP DNS boxes are blank with 'forward router IP' set on and 'DNSsec enable' set off. I use Hurricane Electric for IPV6 and those servers seem to show up - there are three nameserver entries in the logs after reboot, the two IPV6 servers and a 127.0.0.0 entry.

Oddly I can't find the dnscrypt.proxy.options (not under /jffs/configs or /etc). I'm starting this thread because the old thread is a bit dated. Also, if I can get this thing working (my ISP hijacks), I'd also like to know how to add additional DNScrypt servers (where is that conf file?). Thanks in advance.

Excellent! Thanks. I'll just add a couple of missing steps for newbies like me.

1. If you traveled down the road like I did, you need to start over - like all the way over. I tried a simple uninstall of dnscrypt (opkg remove dsncrypt-proxy), but bad things continued to happen. I finally went into admin/system and used 'Format JFFS partition at next boot.' That started me over - all the way over.
(not needed - see thread) 2. With your ext3 formatted USB plugged in, ssh into the router (ssh -l admin 192.168.1.1) and follow these instructions to install entware:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware#the-easy-way
(not needed - see thread) 3. You'll need curl, so run: opkg install curl
4. Now follow the instruction here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/
5. Set 'Connect to DNS Server automatically' to 'no' and type anything (like 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) in the WAN page DNS blocks that appear (if you leave 'Connect... ' set to yes it will still attempt to use the ISP nameservers, unsuccessfully of course, so you'll get no connection - look at the log and you'll see the ISP nameservers still in there!).
6. Reboot the router.
7. Test with this:
https://ipleak.net/

Thanks lonely! Works great - no more ISP hijack!

Last edited:
Just a hint, you don't need to install entware or curl if you're installing dnscrypt with this script you're refering too.

Just a hint, you don't need to install entware or curl if you're installing dnscrypt with this script you're refering too.
As much as I once enjoyed Easter egg hunts, could you be a bit more specific, because wget is native to my ac68, curl is not.

Curl is also nativ for my AC88U, but it should be nativ for your AC68 too if youre using merlin or am I wrong?

Curl is also nativ for my AC88U, but it should be nativ for your AC68 too if youre using merlin or am I wrong?

My apologies. I must have been in the middle of the network connectivity desert and blamed it on curl. Curl is native. On an aside, I'm thinking of getting an ac88, but I hear they run hotter than blazes and some people place them on laptop cooling trays. Do you have heat problems?

You're welcome :)
Yeah, the device is getting a little bit hot.. At the moment I have 50° for the 2,4 und 5GHz Chipsets and about 80° for the cpu itself.. And it is doing nothing at the moment :D But I have about 27° at home, hope it gets better when the summer is over ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!