What's new

DNSMasq Cache doubt.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asad Ali

Very Senior Member
Hello everyone I have a little doubt regarding DNSMasq Cache, does it automatically flush itself on reboot? If yes then is the behavior same on soft reboot and hard reboot?

Thanks!!

When the router is rebooted (hard or soft) the dnsmasq process (along with all the others) is unloaded and the memory released. So the contents of the in-memory cache is lost.

Dnsmasq is just a dns forwarder that do temporary cache. If u talking about keeping dns cache, May need dns server like unbound.

Hello everyone I have a little doubt regarding DNSMasq Cache, does it automatically flush itself on reboot? If yes then is the behavior same on soft reboot and hard reboot?

Thanks!!
Also cleared when just the dnsmasq service is restarted.

You can dump the cache stats to the syslog by issuing

/usr/bin/killall -s USR1 dnsmasq

Ok thanks for the information, now is there anyway I can move the cache file to JFFS so that it can use internal storage instead of RAM? I'm asking because in my country electricity is not very stable and sometimes ( specially in summer ) it went down multiple times in a day and every time the router restarts and cleared the cache and that makes the cache system completely useless for me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe it's possible to specify an "on-disk" location for the cache. Cached entries just exist in memory structure, not in a file.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!