What's new

Do I really need (or want) a simultaneous dual band router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FyrFytr

New Around Here
Hello all!

This is my first time posting here, and I want to thank you all for the tremendous amount of info. that is provided on these forums and smallnetbuilder.com.

I really want a gigabit switch in my wireless router, and think that I should also have simultaneous dual-band capability. I've narrowed my choices down to a $100 refurbished Linksys WRT610N, or either of EnGenius' models, the ESR-7750 or the ESR-9850 ($50-$70).

I am going to move all of my routing equip. and my HP MediaSmart Homeserver that is currently upstairs in my office downstairs into my living room near my T.V. so that I can take advantage of wired networking speeds to my XBOX 360 and increase my wireless performance. I already have a dual-band wireless N adapter on my XBOX 360, but I don't think I can realize it's true capability with my wireless router upstairs and half way across my house. So, I'm gonna bring the MediaSmart downstairs, and probably just hook it up via the gigabit router directly to my XBOX360.

I'm under the impression that gigabit routing capability should be the primary concern here, and that simultaneous dual-band routing should be secondary. I'd like to have both, but finding a router than can do both effectively for less than $100 is nearly impossible.

-I have FIOS in my home.

-I live in a single family home, w/out much bleed over from my neighbors wireless networks.

-I have no home landline wireless phones to cause interference.

-I may in the future get the Sprint Airave (1900 mhz CDMA spectrum) running in my house to increase my mobile phone reception.

-My laptop has dual-band capability, and the new laptop my girlfriend will get shortly will as well.

- I want to run my new router in only wireless-N mode, so I will also be running my trusty ZyXel wireless-g router so that my girlfriend can connect her iPod Touch to it, and I'll use it as guest access.

Your thoughts? Do I really need both simultaneous dual-band routing AND gigabit capability?

Thanks!

-Greg

(I'm sorry for the long read, but I wanted to provide you with all of the pertinent information.)

Well, based on what you said, it sounds like you will have an N router being used as your main router and DHCP server and another one on G as an access point. That already gives you a lot of flexibility as you have 2 networks and you can (potentially) put the N network on 5 GHz and the G network on 2.4.

If you want to stream video and play games at the same time (both on N) than that might be a reason to consider a dual band router as you could put the video streaming on one radio (say at 5 ghz) and play games and use laptops on the other radio.

Other than that, I can't think of any reason why you would need a dual band given the plan to use the old router as a G access point.

First, good move to get your NAS and media player connected via Ethernet. You'll be much happier and be able to watch HD content without problems (at least those caused by a wireless connection).

You don't need Gigabit Ethernet to support HD streaming. Bit rates are well below even 100 Mbps. But Gigabit is essential to get full file-transfer speed for moving large media files around.

That said, Gigabit built into a router or in a separate switch is a matter of cost and convenience. Unless your FIOS service has > 100 Mbps speed, you don't need Gigabit in the router. BTW, the EnGenius ESR-7750 has 10/100 ports, not Gigabit.

I agree with Dave's points regarding dual-band.

Thanks for the info!

I do a lot of bittorrent downloading to my laptop, and then transfer the files to my MediaSmart since I'm not yet familiar how to, or even IF, I can have my MediaSmart do the downloading for me. I'm thinking this is where the gigabit networking speed will be useful. I also have my entire CD collection ripped onto it in lossless format, and collect Pearl Jam live concert bootlegs (almost half a TB at this point).

I know the difference between the EnGenius routers, and unfortunately, they do not appear to have a model that is BOTH gigabit, as well as simultaneous dual-band. This is where my debate is. They're both much less than the Linksys, so I'd like to go with one of them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online