What's new

Do you consider cloud storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc a backup solution.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jltech1

New Around Here
Hi. I'm revamping my backup strategy as the amount of data I need to hold has increased over the last couple of years. In a search for an "off-site" location for my backup, do you consider cloud storage providers such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Skydrive, etc, a viable cloud backup solution where they would contend with more traditional backup services like Crashplan and Mozy Pro?

Thanks for all input.

Jason

Last edited:
No, and yes.
No, not for drive images: ISP upload speeds too slow.
Yes: for critical files if you MUST pay for offsite, rather than just putting such on a USB flash or hard drive and optionally on a NAS too.

And: for financial / sensitive data, encrypt data yourself using winzip or SafeHouse or TruCrypt before storing/uploading.

What?

I don't trust any online provider for backup. Too many times the data isn't there when you need it. Also think of how many (more) people now have access to your data (the online provider's employee's, staff, part-time staff, call center staff, outsourced providers, developers, overseas staff, etc.) or how much potential there is for other people (hackers, Anonymous) to gain access, which in time means everyone will have access.

USB hard drives swapped on-site/off-site are way safer. Make an employee responsible for taking a USB hard drive home (or to a safe deposit box) every week, and bringing another one back - the number of hands that "touch" your data is WAY smaller in this case.

I don't trust any online provider for backup. Too many times the data isn't there when you need it. Also think of how many (more) people now have access to your data (the online provider's employee's, staff, part-time staff, call center staff, outsourced providers, developers, overseas staff, etc.) or how much potential there is for other people (hackers, Anonymous) to gain access, which in time means everyone will have access.

USB hard drives swapped on-site/off-site are way safer. Make an employee responsible for taking a USB hard drive home (or to a safe deposit box) every week, and bringing another one back - the number of hands that "touch" your data is WAY smaller in this case.

I use BOX.com for my business files. No issues with them. I also have Dropbox but I refer box.com. Backup files use other media devices NAS and SAN. If the internet ever goes down then files access to the cloud files will be NULL.

Cloud Availability

Hi. I'm revamping my backup strategy as the amount of data I need to hold has increased over the last couple of years. In a search for an "off-site" location for my backup, do you consider cloud storage providers such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Skydrive, etc, a viable cloud backup solution where they would contend with more traditional backup services like Crashplan and Mozy Pro?

Thanks for all input.

Jason

Please see Gayn Winters Blog:https://gaynwinters.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/how-hard-is-99-999-availabilit. I like Gayn's bottom line in this blog:"never put all you eggs in one basket. In the era of immature cloud computing, it will be a challenge, and this challenge will be expensive."

cloud backup should be backup #3 as off-site, in case of burglary or fire.
YOU NEED TO encrypt using winZip or some such, private financial data, tax returns, etc. Then put the zip file in the cloud. Or the same sheme, using a TruCrypt volume or as I prefer to TruCrypt, is freeware SafeHouse.
DON'T upload sensitive data using the cloud service's transport or storage encryption.

Backup #2 is external disk drive kept out of sight.

backup #1 (for me) is SecondCopy, automatically duplicating last n versions of key folders.

backup #0 is that I put data on my NAS, not my PC, or SecondCopy dupes key folders to the NAS. The NAS also does time backup to volume #2.

Automated because I forget things.

My backup setup

have a Synology NAS that's hidden and not particularly easy to discover or get to (in case a theif should decide visit). I have an USB drive attached to my NAS.

1) My laptop (MBP) runs Time Machine to my NAS.
2) My files (primarily pictures) are stored on my NAS (around 300GB currently).
3) I run daily backup of my Time Machine backup on the NAS -> USB drive.
4) I run daily backup of my files stored on the NAS -> USB drive.
5) I run daily remote backup of my files stored on the NAS -> my brothers Synology NAS (he lives in another nearby city).

Both my brother and I are fortunate enough to have fiber connections so bandwidth for remote backup isn't a problem.

I think it is quite important to have a remote backup solution in place in case your hardware gets stolen or in case of fire or something like that. A thief likely have no interest in your personal photos, but will steal your camera and your IT equipment. I believe many people don't think about that until it's too late.

I do use Gdrive, Dropbox as well, but that's more to also have easy access to certain files.

I don't really have the need currently, but it would be nice to see Crashplan and other such services provide official NAS support.

Last edited:
The only remote backup I've found, other than expensive Amazon AWS, that will permit a share from a NAS to be backed up to their internet (cloud) server, is OpenDrive. That vendor has a troubled history, but I've used their free service for a year or so and it's now stable. They have this odd capability for users (excluding free accounts) to sell files. That does give pause to legalities, DRM, etc.

I thought CrashPlan would accept NAS shares and mapped drives, but no. It will, but peer to peer (have a friend/relative?)

What frustrates me is when a service provider charges a monthly fee but imposes a storage limit cap- in that case, they shouldn't block NASes. I can see that an Unlimited plan has a rationale for blocking NASes. I suppose too that they want to sell n licenses for n PCs in the home.

But in the end, my cable modem, with just 1Mbps upstream (15 down) is too slow to use a cloud.

Of course, be sure to encrypt via your OWN means, sensitive files before uploading to a cloud server. They cannot protect your privacy for many reasons.

Last edited:
I use aerofs which is like dropbox but is free and limited to your hard drive space. I find it to be a good alternative to linux NFS and is multi OS. Good if you own your own cluster or a lot of devices. They also have mobile apps that let you access your files from LAN/internet if at least 1 of your PCs are turned on. Unlike cloud services online that cost money for a lot of space you get to keep your data to yourself and only worry about internet upload speed and VPN if you intend to use it remotely.

Every file stored in aerofs directory can keep multiple revisions just like dropbox. The only downside is that unless you can install the aerofs client (linux binary version) on your NAS you cant use it for this. If you use your own NAS built using x86 PC this could be an option to automatically sync an entire directory across all your devices. Its a good backup solution other than RAID or online cloud and you can keep your stuff away from prying eyes unless you decide not to protect the directory on your computer.

What?

I totally agree with you. We have tried several cloud storage in the office too like google drive and drop box and unfortunately we regularly encounter data loss and other issues. We consulted some IT companies to be able to come up with a good plan. Right now, my boss is reviewing the proposal sent by Netskope. I didn't read the whole proposal but it's more of cloud security.

USB hard drives swapped on-site/off-site are way safer - this is a good suggestion too and probably okay with smaller firm.

What?

Ditto. Some of those storage site is not even in CONUS.
+1

I don't trust or use ANY on-line backup service for full backups. Only for VIP data that is encrypted by ME using winzip, SafeHouse software, or other independent means. Too many compromise risks from disgruntled employees/contractors.
For what on-line I do use, I've been pleased with Adrive's prices and reliability.

Local USB3/eSATA drive backups are my mainstay to backup portions of the NAS which itself has 2 other local backups, automated.

I don't trust or use ANY on-line backup service for full backups. Only for VIP data that is encrypted by ME using winzip, SafeHouse software, or other independent means. Too many compromise risks from disgruntled employees/contractors.
For what on-line I do use, I've been pleased with Adrive's prices and reliability.

That's one of the things I like about Carbonite: you can generate your own private encryption key. This means even Carbonite's employees cannot access your data. However it also means you need to make sure you keep a safe copy of that key, otherwise in case of a disaster, you won't be able to access your own backup.

That's one of the things I like about Carbonite: you can generate your own private encryption key. This means even Carbonite's employees cannot access your data. However it also means you need to make sure you keep a safe copy of that key, otherwise in case of a disaster, you won't be able to access your own backup.
Most US based cloud providers have to be able answer a US court order for data release. So they encrypt for transfer, decrypt, re-encrypt using a key they or you define but is made known to "a select few" at the service provider.
If you use independent means to encrypt before uploading, you can thwart this.

Most US based cloud providers have to be able answer a US court order for data release. So they encrypt for transfer, decrypt, re-encrypt using a key they or you define but is made known to "a select few" at the service provider.
If you use independent means to encrypt before uploading, you can thwart this.

The key you generate with Carbonite (if you go down that route) never leaves your computer.

My proofs:
1) the encryption for transfers is not the encryption for storage, in most all US service providers.
2) there have been breaches in access to stored data at Drop Box, Open Drive and others. In the public news. Often due to disgruntled employees or contractors.

The decades-old "Lawful Intercept" Federal laws go back to early telephone wire-tapping days. Today, as we all know, there are lots of really bad people using the Internet data exchanges for evil deeds and plans.

It's moot anyway.
Personal choice.
I choose to encrypt by my own means and never upload to a service any personal data that's financial or health-care related. I do upload to Adrive selected other directories on my PC and NAS where if there was a breach, I'd not be significantly impacted.
Just my choice. I'm worried about identity theft, not the NSA.
As you wish.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!