What's new

Do you consider cloud storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc a backup solution.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I had more upload bandwidth, I'd (ab)use the free providers, especially the multi-terabyte Asian services.

Most of the "vital" information I have could fit on a 1.44MiB floppy.

I studied in China. You do not want to trust them with your data. I also used to use QQ and Qzone. They have also invaded newegg, selling counterfeit garbage.

I studied in China. You do not want to trust them with your data. I also used to use QQ and Qzone.

What if the files are unimportant, bulk data that I encrypt before transmitting?

What if the files are unimportant, bulk data that I encrypt before transmitting?

If the files are unimportant? Don't save/upload them in the first place. :)

The QQ chat app used to have some storage space to upload files. I don't remember how much they gave you or if they still have it. I logged into my Qzone a few months ago, and they changed the layout. My music didn't play. I don't remember if I linked the files to my now dead comcrap storage or uploaded it to Qzone.

iDrive is having year-1 sales now. Year 2-n are like $45 for 1TB.
When I signed up with Adrive a year ago, their 100GB for $25/yr was the best. I still haven't used but half of that 100GB. Most of that is old versions of files kept by choice, via Second Copy software (Centered Systems')
My ISP is 100/10Mbps.

If the files are unimportant? Don't save/upload them in the first place. :)

Unimportant != completely useless. If I'm honest, I am a bit of a digital hoarder... :)

The majority of my backups/archives are non-vital bulk which I can do without and with 10TB+ of online storage available for free, I see no reason to not take advantage of it.

Unimportant != completely useless. If I'm honest, I am a bit of a digital hoarder... :)

The majority of my backups/archives are non-vital bulk which I can do without and with 10TB+ of online storage available for free, I see no reason to not take advantage of it.

:) Just wanted to rile you a little. :)

The reason to not take advantage of it is so that you can keep a clean house (so to speak).

Grab a high megapixel camera with tiff resolution and you'll be able to use it up in no time. :)

:) Just wanted to rile you a little. :)

The reason to not take advantage of it is so that you can keep a clean house (so to speak).

Grab a high megapixel camera with tiff resolution and you'll be able to use it up in no time. :)

Yep, 12/16/20 megapixel images can take up a bunch of space, esp. when working with RAW images - and let's not forget 4K video capture...

I have a 1080 camcorder and see no need for 4K. 99% of the world is still using 1080 and less, and on TN panels. I use a VA panel. I had a 15" Trinitron, I believe in '92, and another MAG Trinitron 17" in '98 until it became blurry.

Last edited:
Yep, 12/16/20 megapixel images can take up a bunch of space, esp. when working with RAW images - and let's not forget 4K video capture...

RAW images themselves are actually quite compressed. I have seen 25MB jpegs (almost as big as the original RAW file they came from; 30MB) that looked stunning.

A tiff version of that same file (CMYK) was about 150MB if I remember correctly.

And, some cameras can shoot in tiff format directly (buy extra cards!). :)

I have a 1080 camcorder and see no need for 4K. 99% of the world is still using 1080 and less, and on TN panels. I use a VA panel. I had a 15" Trinitron, I believe in '92, and another MAG Trinitron 17" in '98 until it became blurry.

Hehe - my smartphone shoots 4K - not for long obviously with 64GB total storage :D

RAW images themselves are actually quite compressed. I have seen 25MB jpegs (almost as big as the original RAW file they came from; 30MB) that looked stunning.

A tiff version of that same file (CMYK) was about 150MB if I remember correctly.

And, some cameras can shoot in tiff format directly (buy extra cards!). :)

True, true - CMYK TIFF's can be huge, and working with them in Photoshop, that can ballon up even more...

I use Amazon Cloud Drive, unlimited storage space for $59/yr. All of my files are on my NAS and I use a program called Arq to manage backups. Arq encrypts the data with a key I generate BEFORE it leaves my machine, and uploads the encrypted blobs to Amazon Cloud Drive. I literally have 2+ TBs of data being backed up this way. The first backup takes a long time obviously, but after that its all incremental. Arq keeps track of it all and I can restore individual files or the entire blob if I want.

I also have Time Machine backing up to the NAS, and use CCC to clone the desktop(s) to external usb drives every so often. Minimal files are stored on the desktops so its really just a clone of the OS/system.

Fyi, cloud 'unlimited' storage space is a myth. Make sure you have enough local storage (and local backups of that too) of all your can't live without files.

The 'unlimited' part can be interpreted to mean anything they want/need it to be in the next 5 minutes (or with no warning at all).

...The 'unlimited' part can be interpreted to mean anything they want/need it to be in the next 5 minutes (or with no warning at all).

Same could be said for any service/company really. $x for 1TB of storage could become $x for 0.5TB the next day..

Fyi, cloud 'unlimited' storage space is a myth.

Netzero and unlimited free internet, anyone? Then they started charging money. I used 1 or 2 pay bars on top of that to earn $30 every 2 months, and cheated using a program to move the cursor while I slept. Some claim to have made thousands of CASH MONEY a month from referrals. One company caught me using the program because I failed to rename the .exe. Those companies didn't last long anyway.

Last edited:
Same could be said for any service/company really. $x for 1TB of storage could become $x for 0.5TB the next day..

'Cloud' companies are worse. Here today and gone tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind paying more for less (I understand how that goes). What I can't bring myself to do is to trust something that I have no control over except how much money I give them each month for a dubious benefit that I can't ever really depend on.

Here today and gone tomorrow.
That can be said for any company. That's why I do not use anyone. Like I said before, I've seen ISPs go bankrupt along with other companies, and other companies change or delete their services and screw everyone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!