What's new

does Asuswrt-Merlin support multiple dns server on dhcp ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adrianmak

Occasional Visitor
I just bought a N66U. I want to use google public dns for dhcp client
However I found that original firmware supported only one dns server

Does Asuswrt-Merlin support two or multiple dns server for dhcp client ?

I just bought a N66U. I want to use google public dns for dhcp client
However I found that original firmware supported only one dns server

Does Asuswrt-Merlin support two or multiple dns server for dhcp client ?

Latest Merlin and Asus firmware supports two DNS servers manually entered. It's under WAN -> Internet Connection -> WAN DNS Settings. Deselect "connect to DNS automatically" and you can enter two DNS servers manually instead of the one given to your by your ISPs DHCP server.

I knew the dns server of the WAN settings.

But the dns server of dhcp clients of the local net point to the router ip and then relay dns request to isp dns or custom dns (wan settings)

I want to distribute custom dns to local net dhcp clients, such that any dns queries from local net are requested direct to custom dns server without relay from the router itself.

You could create a custom dnsmasq.conf config file and put the multiple DNS servers there.

You could create a custom dnsmasq.conf config file and put the multiple DNS servers there.

This would be perfect... can you point me to documentation on using dnsmasq.conf with Merlin? I've seen it on my DD-WRT router pages, but can't figure out how it applies to Merlin. Thanks.

Will the DNS resolve and reverse resolve local NAT-hosts? My DD-WRT router currently resolves NAT hosts and all my clients point to my DD-WRT router as their DNS server... Can Merlin cache DNS requests and serve them locally?

Thanks,
\eYeks

This would be perfect... can you point me to documentation on using dnsmasq.conf with Merlin? I've seen it on my DD-WRT router pages, but can't figure out how it applies to Merlin. Thanks.

Will the DNS resolve and reverse resolve local NAT-hosts? My DD-WRT router currently resolves NAT hosts and all my clients point to my DD-WRT router as their DNS server... Can Merlin cache DNS requests and serve them locally?

Thanks,
\eYeks

See the Wiki in my signature.

dnsmasq works both as a DHCP server and a DNS proxy, so any DHCP lease would also be resolvable by dnsmasq.

Dear Rmerlin and all, let me ask here regarding dnsmasq service:

What of the dnsmasq options would be correct for AsusWrt-Merlin?

E.c. on the man pages for dnsmasq, there are options for tftp.

# TFTP part
enable-tftp
tftp-root=/opt/tftproot
Will this function on AsusWRT-Merlin when added to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add?

(I am putting undionly.kpxe from gPXE etherboot.org to /opt/tftproot... I want to be able to chainload gPXE on of my PCs.

Also, when I put the following into /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
#dhcp
dhcp-userclass=gPXE-booted,"gPXE"
dhcp-boot=net:gPXE-booted,undionly.kpxe,,192.168.1.1
, those lines are added onto the /etc/dnsmasq.conf upon reboot... But, the actual DNS finctionality is not working for computers on my LAN...

Also, how should I restart dnsmasq service? "service dnsmasq stop" doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The router doesn't have an actual SysV init.d style environment (overkill for a router). The correct syntax to restart dnsmasq is:

service restart_dnsmasq

I can't answer for the actual config options, I never played with dnsmasq's configuration.

OK, thanks. Sounds better than just doing "kilall dnsmasq&&dnsmasq" all the time :)

I'll report on my report with gPXE and dnsmasq.conf later, if any - playing right now ;)

OK, so... really helping is dumping all available dnsmasq options to file:

dnsmasp --help > dnsmasq-opts.txt

It turns out that our dnsmasq is able to run tftpd, so with the following in my /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
#gPXE
# TFTP part
enable-tftp
tftp-root=/opt/tftproot

#dhcp
domain=mydomain
dhcp-option=lan,3,192.168.1.1
#dhcp-userclass=gPXE-booted,"gPXE"
dhcp-boot=undionly.kpxe,,192.168.1.1

I was able to chainload undionly.kpxe on the router itself.
The domain=mydomain line seems to be of great importance for my PXE NIC's ROM.
:) Without that line the trick didn't worked.

Andycar, could you please walk me through on how to set up the PXE server on the Merlin AsusWRT rom? At one point I almost had it configured under TomatoUSB, but after using Merlin's ROM's I will never go back to the stone age!

I have a small Internet hotspot/computer repair business and I would like a couple of open ports open on the desk for PXE installs for Linux Mint. Using USB drives can be such a PITA!

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!