What's new

Does Internet data needs MoCA adapter like ECB6200?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ellicott

Occasional Visitor
I have two questions and am wondering if you can help.

1) If I understand correctly that MoCA adapter allows one to have TV or Internet signal go from one room to another without using WiFi or Cat5 cable. However does MoCA also need to have coax cable running from one room to another just like Cat5 cable?

2) ISP has two coax outlets in my house. One for TV and another for 940Mbps/880Mbps download/upload Internet. My gigabit router only has RJ45 port. How to connect router's RJ45 port to the coax outlet if I only have two desktop connected to the router? The router and two desktop are in same room. Do I need a MoCA adapter like ECB6200 for the connection, and why? If it is not, how to connect RJ45 to coax outlet?

Thanks!

I have two questions and am wondering if you can help.

1) If I understand correctly that MoCA adapter allows one to have TV or Internet signal go from one room to another without using WiFi or Cat5 cable. However does MoCA also need to have coax cable running from one room to another just like Cat5 cable?

2) ISP has two coax outlets in my house. One for TV and another for 940Mbps/880Mbps download/upload Internet. My gigabit router only has RJ45 port. How to connect router's RJ45 port to the coax outlet if I only have two desktop connected to the router? The router and two desktop are in same room. Do I need a MoCA adapter like ECB6200 for the connection, and why? If it is not, how to connect RJ45 to coax outlet?

Thanks!
MoCA adapters diplex lower ATSC/QAM/cable modem frequencies and higher MoCA frequencies so that they can be carried on the same 75 Ohm coaxial cable run. The cable run itself doesn't need to be directly room-to-room. Most homes built in the past 20 years should have a central distribution point where the cable runs terminate, so you likely have a splitter there that distributes signals from the cableco's line feed to each room's cable outlet.

You don't connect an Ethernet cable to a coax outlet. You'd connect the Ethernet cable to the MoCA adapter, and connect the MoCA adapter via coaxial cable to the outlet. In the other room, you do the same thing to book-end your adapters. You can run MoCA adapters point-to-point this way, or hub-and-spoke, usually with up to 16 adapters (but keep in mind that they're on the same collision domain.)

So I'm giving you the right answer, can you tell me what the usage case here is? Which problem do you want to solve with the MoCA adapters?

Thank you quadwan for your quick response!

For my second question which is how to connect coax outlet to RJ45 router, MoCA adapter like ECB6200 cost $80. It is expensive. Since I only need to router connection for two computers, is there any other approach?

for that speed, you need the MOCA 2 modem ECB6200.

Did the ISP provide a modem/router with the service ?
i would use that first if they are in the same room or within wireless reach (if provided) . You only need the ECB6200 if you are attaching to the end of a RG-6 coax cable with MOCA 2.

Thank you degrub. Is ECB6200 a modem? If so, any cable modem can do the job? I have an extra Arris SB6183 cable modem (686 Mbps download speed). May I use it for that purpose?

i think the answer is No. It blocks MOCA on the cable input and does not have a second port with MOCA only. It is intended to only connect to the cable head end using DOCSIS3.

You need at least a pair of ECB6200s to do a point to point MOCA. You can add additional points by daisy chaining the cable with a bi-directional MOCA 2 rated splitter and an additional ECB6200.

So if your ISP head end cable modem/router is providing DHCP, just connect the ethernet port on an ECB6200 to a LAN port in the cable modem, plug the RG6 cable into the cable in port. At the other end of that cable run, connect the cable to the cable in port on the other ECB6200 and then plug in your lan device (PC, switch, AP, etc). Should be good to go if you get green sync lights.

If there are any splitters in between the two ECB6200s, they will have to be MOCA2 rated and bidirectional. Otherwise it will 1) run slow or 2) not work (no modem sync). Poor cable or connectors may also slow it down.