What's new

Does IPv6 impact network speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
So i got a new Home Gateway installed as part of the 1Gbps upgrade i did with my ISP. Works like a charm, getting around 850/40 out of the 1000/40 subscription which seems fine to me. As i never got IPv6 to work on my MikroTik router with the old Home Gateway, i decided to re-check the IPv6 option in the router config and after a bit of additional configuration, there it was, IPv6 fully working, all my devices got an IPv6 IP. However, i also noticed that my speedtest showed significantly lower speeds after the re-activation. De-activating IPv6 once again brought the speedtest back to the previous values.

Does IPv6 really reduce internet speed or do i need to go look elsewhere such as capability limitations of my RB3011?

I don't believe there's anything intrinsically faster or slower with IPv6. It's just an internet layer protocol like ICMP is.

That said, your IPv6 packets might be being routed differently across the internet, they might end up at a different server, or the server they connect to might respond differently. There are many possible variables, and that's before you start looking at your own local network.

I don't believe there's anything intrinsically faster or slower with IPv6. It's just an internet layer protocol like ICMP is.

That said, your IPv6 packets might be being routed differently across the internet, they might end up at a different server, or the server they connect to might respond differently. There are many possible variables, and that's before you start looking at your own local network.

Well, i don't have any other explanation because turning on IPv6 in the router made my speed drop to 150Mbps and turning it back off, made it go back to +850Mbps. Maybe one of my IPv6 settings is incorrect. I will do some research on that now.

If I enable IPv6 in my router, I get all kinds of repeating errors flooding my router system logs. The guys in my ISP forum said my ISP did not implement IPv6 correctly or something. So, I've disabled IPv6 in my router for now.

If you try to filter/block devices by IPv4 Address in your router, enabling IPv6 allows devices to get around the filter/block. [emoji852]

I've not yet found something I couldn't do just because I've disabled IPv6.

FWIW:

http://testipv6.com/

http://ipv6-test.com/speedtest/

Sent using Tapatalk