What's new

Does my connection switch automatically when using an Access Point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Juggernaut

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am looking to buy an Access Point for my home wireless network because my AC router doesn't quite reach where I need it to reach.

If I connect an ethernet wired Access Point to the router will my devices automatically know to switch to the Access Point when it has a stronger signal than the router?

My understanding is that the SSID and passwords etc would be the same for the Access Point and the router - is that confirmed to be true?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Hi,

I am looking to buy an Access Point for my home wireless network because my AC router doesn't quite reach where I need it to reach.

If I connect an ethernet wired Access Point to the router will my devices automatically know to switch to the Access Point when it has a stronger signal than the router?

My understanding is that the SSID and passwords etc would be the same for the Access Point and the router - is that confirmed to be true?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Not confirmed to be true (for everyone). Only testing in your environment will prove it one way or another.

Not confirmed to be true (for everyone). Only testing in your environment will prove it one way or another.

Hi L & LD,

So in *theory* my device should know to switch to the stronger signal on its own?
Is that the way they are traditionally programmed to function?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

You also need security level the same as well as the same SSIDs and the same passwords. You will want different channels not the same. You will then need to adjust the output power levels of the wireless access points so the clients will change WAPs. If your overlap is too strong of signal then the clients will not change. Of course if your WAPs far enough apart then they can run full power. It takes a little while to adjust all this. Sometimes you can move a WAP a few feet to improve the overall system.

Last edited:
You also need security level the same as well as the same SSIDs and the same passwords. You will want different channels not the same. You will then need to adjust the output power levels of the wireless access points so the clients will change WAPs. If your overlap is too strong of signal then the clients will not change. Of course if your WAPs far enough apart then they can run full power. It takes a little while to adjust all this. Sometimes you can move a WAP a few feet to improve the overall system.

Great.

Thanks!

Hi L & LD,

So in *theory* my device should know to switch to the stronger signal on its own?
Is that the way they are traditionally programmed to function?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

I would say that is more the marketing, rather than the theory. As I said, some are programmed for the assumed operation and some are not. That is why you need to test in your specific environment (actual router(s), AP's and clients).

Very client dependent - common SSID/Credentials go a long way, but some clients just refuse to cooperate and camp on a AP when they should manage the leap over...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!