What's new

Does the TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT sound like a reasonable solution for my needs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snsd

New Around Here
First off, as a relative newbie to DIY networking, I'm really impressed with this forum. Thanks to all those who invest their time to answering our questions. Sincerely appreciated!

I am looking for what I believe to be a very simple solution. The only thing I need is to extend our wireless internet range to a couple of dead spots in our house. We don't have a need for Xbox, NAS… We simply have a handful of laptops and cell phones connected to our wireless router to access the internet only.

- Running ethernet cables through the house is not an option.

- MoCA is possibly an option but it looks a little complicated, expensive, and not sure it's necessary given my needs.

- I get that wireless extenders cut throughput in half and are not the best option.

- I'm thinking powerline is the way to go.

Our cable modem and router (ASUS RT-N13U) are on the main floor of a 2-level 2,500 square foot house. They are situated at the extreme end of the house and cannot be moved as that is where the cable connection enters our house. (The cable is a direct wire from outside to the modem as our ISP leases their lines form a 3rd party and, therefore, decided not to hook it up to the switch in our basement where all the cable outlets throughout the house are connected to.) We have a couple of dead spots in the house that I'm hoping to resolve.

I just purchased a TP-LINK AV500 TL-WPA4220KIT Powerline Extender kit for $50. My thought is that if it gives me what I need with the access point built right in to the adapter, I'm good to go - without losing half the throughput of wireless extenders. If it doesn't suffice, I can look to attaching an external access point to the powerline adapter it to see if that resolves my dead spots.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach? I'm a newbie but believe I did my homework. :) Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yep. Your approach is valid.

An alternative is to use the Ethernet connection on the AP adapter to move the ASUS router to a more central location. Just plug the cable modem output into the TL-PA4010 powerline adapter and the RT-N13U's WAN port into an Ethernet port on the TL-WPA4220.

Experiment!

Thanks Tim. That's a great idea. Never occurred to me to move the router to a better location.

I have one minor challenge and am looking for some further guidance. Never realizing what you mentioned as a possibility, I neglected to mention that my router also has a Wii and a VoIP ATA device plugged into it. Although I could move the ATA, the Wii cannot be moved (and unfortunately the WiFi on the Wii doesn't work so it must be hard wired.)

So what about this (realizing I'm budged minded):

- buy a TP-LINK AV500 TL-PA4010KIT instead of the TL-WPA4220KIT. I can pick that up for $30 (which is $20 less expensive than the WPA4220KIT)
- use the extra $20ish to buy another basic wireless router to serve as an access point

I can then keep my Wii hooked-up...

Would I likely get better range if I hooked up an actual router to the powerline adapter versus using the built-in access point in the adapter? If so, would I have the issue of having to broadcast two separate SSIDs - or I could just turn off the wireless on the one badly placed router attached to the WII?

I can get something as simple as an ASUS RT-N10P or TP-LINK TL-WR720N for $15. (I'm pretty sure the ASUS router can serve as an access point - not so sure about the TP-Link.)

Thanks in advance for any further help.

Dave

Having an AP separate from the powerline adapter provides more options for placement. And, yes, you're likely to get a more powerful radio, too.

With either solution, you have to decide whether to use the same or different SSID on the main and extension AP. There is no right answer. All depends on whether your clients roam well, or tend to stay attached to the first AP they find, no matter how low the signal is.

Leave both APs on, just be sure to set them to different channels, 1, 6 or 11.

Any router can be converted to an AP.
See http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Thanks again Tim.

Just to make sure I'm fully understanding.

Whichever solution I choose, I can either share the SSID or not. For some reason, I thought that the powerline adapter access point made the device switching more seamless - but if I'm understanding things correctly - there's absolutely no difference in terms of "intelligent device switching" between either solution.

If my above assumptions are correct, I see no upside to the powerline adapter access point solution except possibly saving some space and maybe a slightly simpler set-up. Seeing that my main priority is increasing my range, I think it makes sense to go with the external router access point solution.

Please let me know if there is any other upside to the powerline access point solution that I might be missing.

Appreciate all the help.

Dave

Whichever solution I choose, I can either share the SSID or not. For some reason, I thought that the powerline adapter access point made the device switching more seamless - but if I'm understanding things correctly - there's absolutely no difference in terms of "intelligent device switching" between either solution.
This is just marketing fluff. Roaming depends on what your clients will do.

Thanks Tim. Figured as much. On my way to the store to exchange the powerline combo kit for a regular kit and a router.

Dave