What's new

Download Master ASUS RT-AC68U and VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cecuch

New Around Here
Hi guys, I would like to ask you for advice please. I'm using download master app on my asus router with merlin firmware, but Im planning to buy vpn service from expressvpn. And my question is if the connection through the download master app will be encripted too. Thank you very much for your respond.

Thank you very much for your respond. Actually right now Im trying to make work openVPN server on my router but when I connect to VPN Tunnelblick write down message that my connection IP didn't changed :/ I have static IP from NO-IP and I already tried every settings which I found on the internet but nothing works.

No stupid things, it can be pretty complicated. ;)

There are two things you can setup on your router:

"OpenVPN Server": For when you want to make a secure connection over the internet TO your home network. In that case, the device you want to connect over VPN (like laptop or other mobile device) is acting like a client.

"OpenVPN Client": When you want to connect over a secure connection to a VPN Server on the internet (like ExpressVPN) FROM your home network.

To connect your laptop through WiFi on your home network, you don't need VPN and I think connecting to the server running on your router works only from WAN (internet). Your data traffic over WiFi is encrypted by WPA Encryption, so no need to protect is with VPN.

No stupid things, it can be pretty complicated. ;)

There are two things you can setup on your router:

"OpenVPN Server": For when you want to make a secure connection over the internet TO your home network. In that case, the device you want to connect over VPN (like laptop or other mobile device) is acting like a client.

"OpenVPN Client": When you want to connect over a secure connection to a VPN Server on the internet (like ExpressVPN) FROM your home network.

To connect your laptop through WiFi on your home network, you don't need VPN and I think connecting to the server running on your router works only from WAN (internet). Your data traffic over WiFi is encrypted by WPA Encryption, so no need to protect is with VPN.
Thank you for explanation :) the thing is that I want hide my IP at the internet, and vpn clients like expressVPN are little bit expensive so I tried to google If there is some less expensive or free option. So thats why Im trying set up openVPN server on my router but I dont know if that is a solution :-/

ExpressVPN is the Server, you are the client ;)

You would be able to access internet through a server setup on your router, but then your IP address with which you are visible on the internet is still your ISP's IP address, so you will not hide your IP address that way.

To hide your IP on the internet, you would need a VPN provider (like ExpressVPN).
I use EarthVPN since 2 years and they are $39.99 per year.

ExpressVPN is the Server, you are the client ;)

You would be able to access internet through a server setup on your router, but then your IP address with which you are visible on the internet is still your ISP's IP address, so you will not hide your IP address that way.

To hide your IP on the internet, you would need a VPN provider (like ExpressVPN).
I use EarthVPN since 2 years and they are $39.99 per year.
OK now I understand :) thank you very much for your help and patience :)

Hi Wocram,
This is the exact topic I'm trying to work through at the moment too! Some background, I have a RT-AC68U running the latest Merlin release. I have a VPN subscription to IVPN and have set up a 'VPN Client' profile for one of their servers. I have also setup my own 'VPN Server' on the router to access remotely.
So I really like the idea of having an on-router download feature (downloading to my router connected hard drive) that can be accessed remotely, and can be tunnelled through on-router VPN. I don't have to have a dedicated bit torrent computer constantly turned on, downloads can be accessed instantly across network using Samba etc. Well this is what I hoped for when I bought the router...
Now I've found out Download Master works outside of VPN Client when it's turned on. Is there a way to test the traffic to be sure of this? Or is it we'll know that's the case?
I don't mind looking at the Transmission on-router option. I tried to got to those links you posted but found it quiet confusing, and some was about Daemons (?). Is there a straight forward guide to get it on the router? And if it can, how do you test that the traffic is going through the VPN? I'm used to testing individual devices using dnsleaktest.com etc but I'm not used to these on-router apps.
Thanks in advance for any info I really appreciate it.
Regards,
Sam

Hi guys, I would like to ask you for advice please. I'm using download master app on my asus router with merlin firmware, but Im planning to buy vpn service from expressvpn. And my question is if the connection through the download master app will be encripted too. Thank you very much for your respond.
If you set it up as all traffic goes to VPN then your download master will be on VPN when downloading.
If you set it up as policy rules then you need to include the routers IP address in the rules.

Hi Yorgi,
Thanks for the reply! So at the moment I have my WAN config set to PPPoE, WAN enabled, NAT enabled, UPnP disabled, get WAN IP auto enabled, connect to DNS server auto enabled. Will I have to change these? Sorry I'm a bit clueless with all this

If you set it up as all traffic goes to VPN then your download master will be on VPN when downloading.
If you set it up as policy rules then you need to include the routers IP address in the rules.
Does this not take in account setting router ip in policy rules - so Download Master can be used through VPN...
Just tested by adding my router's IP address to the VPN Policy Rules and when I stop my VPN client (while "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" set to "Yes"), my laptop loses connection to internet but Download Master keeps uploading (don't have active downloads running), so it seems that my Download Master doesn't go through the VPN tunnel..
Please try if it works differently on your router?

Last edited:
Yes your right I run into same prob with the above test, Download Master keeps running :(
Why would it be running separately outside I wonder. Do you know if there's a way to specify the 8081 port?
Also could my WAN settings not be right (WAN connection type, enable WAN, enable NAT, enable UPnP, WAN IP auto, DNS server auto etc)? Thanks for your help with this, I'd love to get it going. I'm wanting to set things up so I can download via VPN, remotely, preferably on-router so I don't need to have a computer going all the time. Are there other options I can look at do you think? I see Transmission could be installed perhaps on-router which might work, but setup looks out of my realm of ability :(
Thanks again!

Why would it be running separately outside I wonder. Do you know if there's a way to specify the 8081 port?

Not sure why it is running separate from the GUI. It is running from USB connected storage (where you have to install/activate it after installing/upgrading FW), so I would think it should be controllable in some way but there is no option to apply the port # to the VPN rule as far as I know.

Also could my WAN settings not be right (WAN connection type, enable WAN, enable NAT, enable UPnP, WAN IP auto, DNS server auto etc)? Thanks for your help with this, I'd love to get it going. I'm wanting to set things up so I can download via VPN, remotely, preferably on-router so I don't need to have a computer going all the time.

Seems your settings are roughly the same as mine.. I am interested to get it running through VPN myself also..

Are there other options I can look at do you think? I see Transmission could be installed perhaps on-router which might work, but setup looks out of my realm of ability :(
Thanks again!

Beside adding another router running VPN in front of your existing router I see no easy way to do it without Transmission and some coding. I am not that technically able with Linux also so I didn't try the Transmission route myself yet..

I might try the Transmission way eventually but I am pretty ok with how Download Master works in general.
By playing with something I don't know a large amount about, I am afraid to mess up my router (although it is possible to reset router to basic settings again).

Previously I mainly used Utorrent (on my MacbookPro), but since I got the Asus router 3 months ago I seldom download on my laptop anymore..

I might try the Transmission way eventually but I am pretty ok with how Download Master works in general.
By playing with something I don't know a large amount about, I am afraid to mess up my router (although it is possible to reset router to basic settings again).

Previously I mainly used Utorrent (on my MacbookPro), but since I got the Asus router 3 months ago I seldom download on my laptop anymore..
If your router is 192.168.1.1 add that rule in policy rules. and your Download Master will be in the VPN
You can also try ALL traffic to VPN and see if your download master will download when you stop the VPN service.
I never had any luck downloading anything with download master although I thought it was a great idea as well when i got my router but it never worked.
Curious to see how you got it working. :)

If your router is 192.168.1.1 add that rule in policy rules. and your Download Master will be in the VPN
You can also try ALL traffic to VPN and see if your download master will download when you stop the VPN service.
I never had any luck downloading anything with download master although I thought it was a great idea as well when i got my router but it never worked.
Curious to see how you got it working. :)
As I stated before, I have tried adding my router's IP (192.168.2.1) to the VPN Policy Rules which also is used for my laptop. When I switch off the VPN client, internet connection of my laptop stops working, but Download Manager keeps uploading..

I will later try to run all traffic through VPN tunnel, but I doubt that will work either!