What's new

Dramatic decrease in wired internet speeds after install of new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T-BONE

New Around Here
just purchased a new TP Link Archer c2600 router. It is to replace a Linksys ea4200v2.

ran speedtest.net 3 times with the c2600 router attached and 3 times with the old router attached.

the results with the old router and the wired performance of the computer was 86 mbs down/22 mbs up on average

with the new archer c2600 it averaged to 15 mbs down / 24 mbs up

i would expect a slight increase in in the upload speeds with the hardware increase inside the c2600, also wifi distance and speed are also above 20 mbs using the speedtest.net app for android and my phone.

so basically we are seeing wifi speeds greater than hardwired speeds that go through the router. this leads me to believe that the archer c2600 has a setting somewhere that is taking up 75% of the network speed even though it is not being asked to do so. QofS is turned off.

i am not very tech savvy , so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

First question.
Replacing for a new router.
Do you power off your modem before switching routers.Important.
Power off computer
Unplug the modem for 2-3 mins, then replug the modem and wait 5 mins... and after replug and power on the router and wait 4-5 mins

Now that is just plain bizarre and I haven't a clue. Since wireless is outperforming wired I'd start with replacing the Ethernet cable that goes between your PC and the router. Even though it works fine with your old router there may be something marginal with it that your new router doesn't like. (Make sure it's Cat5E or Cat6 of decent quality.) And do plug it into a different port of your new router. Make sure you hear the click on each end when you plug it in.

(Ditto with the Ethernet cable that goes between your router and the modem.)

Assuming you did not get lucky do you have two PCs? If so you might hard wire both of them to the router and run a speed test between them. If performance is good that suggests one thing, if performance is still suckie that suggests something else (although I'm now quite sure what : -)

Sorry, wish I was smarter (but sometimes a stupid response will spur something better).

Sorry, wish I was smarter (but sometimes a stupid response will spur something better).

Actually, that is pretty good advice - could very well be the ethernet cable between the router and modem - could be negotiating a half-duplex link, or even a slower link - the rates that OP mentioned sounds like 100Mbit half-duplex...

worked on it a little more with TP Link support. still no luck. but here were the next few steps. tried the link using the other ports on the router to no change in speed (15mbs). tried different cables (cat 5e, 6 and 6a). updated firmware to latest, unplugged for 10 minutes and restarted. screen cap of (connection speed between your computer and your router sent to TP LINK)
GetFileAttachment

also, as setup i am consistently able to get speedtest.net for android wifi speeds on phone in next room of 80mbs...

worked on it a little more with TP Link support. still no luck. but here were the next few steps. tried the link using the other ports on the router to no change in speed (15mbs). tried different cables (cat 5e, 6 and 6a). updated firmware to latest, unplugged for 10 minutes and restarted. screen cap of (connection speed between your computer and your router sent to TP LINK)
GetFileAttachment

also, as setup i am consistently able to get speedtest.net for android wifi speeds on phone in next room of 80mbs...

Hard to believe. My hunch is you got a bum router there. I never saw a router working like that. On the router side regarding wired connection, you just plug in cable to LAN port. On the device side you have some set up with NIC but it worked fine with old router. If you have a friend nearby, try the router there to cinfirm router is bad.

Are you up-to-date on the latest firmware for the router?

I'm assuming TPLink went through that with you, but I figured I'd check.

I had a similar problem with my Linksys. Did the whole cable swap, port swap, restart, etc. I ended up resetting to factory default and re-configuring to resolve the problem.

I think that the enet chipset problem. Ask for a replacement from TP link.

Did you the two laptop test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!