What's new

Dropbox Previews Project Infinite, A Cure For Local Storage Pains

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
Dropbox Business recently announced Project Infinite, a future offering that fixes the problem of using Dropbox on end-user devices with limited storage space.

dropboxprojectinfinity.jpg

Being cross-platform compatible, Project Infinite works like traditional Dropbox Business, but adds the option to store data in the cloud, looking as if though your files are sitting on your local disk or SSD drive. Similar to the green checkmark you get when a local file synchronizes with Dropbox’s cloud storage, Project Infinite-stored files are marked with a small cloud image embedded in the files’ Windows Explorer or OS X Finder icon when synched.

Aside from being able to drag-and-drop these cloud-stored files using your chosen OS platform’s file manager, important properties, such as file size and creation/modification dates, are also be available upon a click of a cursor.

Release dates for Dropbox Business' Project Infinite were not announced, however Dropbox mentioned the new cloud service has been deployed to a select group of customers.

Old ideas, new marketing.

My ex-investment-manager used Dropbox once to show my portfolio status and details, on an iPad (WiFi). Typical mid-sized RIA (12 employees). I asked if my financial data was on Drop box and how did the manager secure my data.

Blank stare.

Ex.

An alternative to dropbox is aerofs which doesnt use an external cloud, rather it depends on your local space. Good if you have many computers you want to sync/backup.

My ex-investment-manager used Dropbox once to show my portfolio status and details, on an iPad (WiFi). Typical mid-sized RIA (12 employees). I asked if my financial data was on Drop box and how did the manager secure my data.

I like how you mention "ex-investment manager"...

Dropbox recently migrated to their own servers after being hosted inside Amazon's cloud for the longest time... so with their new infrastructure, it sounds like they now have ability to put in the controls needed for business - which is good news...

In the past, the only "cloud" storage solution that I've found was box.com, which was designed from the start to support business needs..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!