What's new

DS 1019+ SSD Cache Help please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
Hi, ive just bought two 1TB WD NVMe SSD's for the SSD cache on my DS1019+, ive installed and enabled them, but in storage manager its saying SSD Cache 1 maximum cache size is only 931GB ? can anyone help please ?

Sounds about right. What do you expect them to show up as? Drive sales sizes don't always align with available space sizes. Sometimes you have Bytes in 1000B and sometimes in 1024B, then there are formatting overhead, etc.

I was expecting more as a total, with two 1TB modules fitted, 931GB looked to me like it was just one, 1TB module formatted ?

931GB would be the correct capacity for a single 1GB SSD.

I don't know anything about Synology's but have a look at this YouTube video at about 11 minutes. AFAICT you should be seeing two separate caches, "Cache device 1" and "Cache device 2". Is that what you're missing?

it is Colin, in "Storage Manager" I've only got "SSD Cache 1" which has a total size of 931GB, which, as I've said seems to be a 1TB drive formatted, ill have a look at that YouTube video, thanks

Raid 1 I think if I remember correctly from set up, is that why I can only see a total of 931gb ?
Look at the video. He's creating a RAID 1 from two devices. Maybe the UI representation has changed since that video but with only one device it's not possible to create any kind of RAID.

Thanks for that, it looks like I’ve used the two SSD’s correctly, when I bought them, I didn’t realise that had to be installed in a RAID array, i assumed they would be used without RAID to increase the speed of my NAS, when i fitted and initiated the two SSD’s, RAID 1 seemed the only option available ?
I’ve only recently got my DS1019+, and this newbie is learning

Thanks for that, it looks like I’ve used the two SSD’s correctly, when I bought them, I didn’t realise that had to be installed in a RAID array, i assumed they would be used without RAID to increase the speed of my NAS, when i fitted and initiated the two SSD’s, RAID 1 seemed the only option available ?
I’ve only recently got my DS1019+, and this newbie is learning
Synology manages the cache setup for you. One drive, it is read cache only. Two drives it gives you the option for write cache. Two drives does NOT increase cache storage capacity, just feature capability.